UK Relay Problems

Alan Bleasby A.J.Bleasby at dl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 13:00:17 EST 1993

Some BIOSCI email to<->from the Daresbury site might have been delayed
and some lost in the last 24 hours.

The explanation is that  the EARN-RELAY decided  to change from an IBM
to  a Sun and stopped supporting  SMTP. We  were  not informed of this
change.   Worse still was that  this relay didn't just stop supporting
SMTP  but decided  to redirect  all SMTP requests  to the NSFNET-RELAY
(without even  informing NSFNET!). Even  worse, this caused one of the
machines to  become swamped so they decided/had  to reboot the machine
ergo some messages were  lost. We  are  discussing these  matters with
both relays.

We have taken steps to redirect email and things are flowing again but
the current email backlog will take approximately  4 hours to clear. I
apologise to  any  people who  have been affected.   If you think your
message has not got through then please repost.

Apologies again.

Alan Bleasby
SERC Daresbury Laboratory
Warrington WA4 4AD