News System Problems at NET.BIO.NET

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Tue Oct 12 11:52:19 EST 1993

In addition to the problem reported last week with the WAIS archive,
we are having some problems with the news system at net.bio.net.  We
are aware that some postings to the groups have been duplicated.
Kenton Hoover will be taking the machine down to do an upgrade on the
news distribution system.  The down time will be announced in advance
here in BIONEWS/bionet.announce.

Since our August article in TIBS, demand for the service has gone up
steadily, and the series on the METHODS group starting in TIBS this
November will undoubtedly spur further growth.  To handle this growth,
we will be releasing automated subscription/unsubscription software
soon.  Personal help will also continue to be available for those who
have troubles using the automated system.

Unfortunately, all of this has also happened at a time of some heavy
demands on my time for non-BIOSCI work (this should taper off by
mid-November - BIOSCI is theoretically 8-) a 50% time commitment for
me, but we are all capable of doing 2.5 FTEs of work in this lean and
mean modern era, right? 8-).  In the interim, ****PLEASE**** be sure
to send mail about BIOSCI to the biosci addresses, NOT my personal
address or to the newsgroups.  I simply do not have time to read all
of the messages posted to BIOSCI looking for misdirected BIOSCI
questions, so I'd appreciate it if our readers, should they notice
anyone wandering in the network wilderness, refer the lost souls to
one of the following addresses for help.  Thanks in advance.

Subscription Address                 Location
biosci at daresbury.ac.uk               Europe, Africa, and Central Asia
biosci at net.bio.net                   Americas and the Pacific Rim

				kristoff at net.bio.net