Reminder & Update - ISMB '94 a/v broadcast on MBONE

Dan Mosedale mosedale at aeffle.Stanford.EDU
Tue Aug 9 19:33:35 EST 1994

We would really like to have as many folks take part as possible;
please forward a copy of this announcement to any friends, colleagues,
or mailing lists you think might be interested.

If you are in a university setting and don't have time to get your
machines on the MBONE, try calling up the networking division, the
computer science department, and/or the computing center.  They may
already be connected and have a machine available that you could use
for viewing.

Finally, this announcement contains a newer version of the "Quick and
Dirty Guide to Connecting to the MBONE" which has some important
revisions from the previous version posted.

Dan

		The Second International Conference on
              Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology
                         Stanford University

  Live AUDIO, VIDEO, and WHITEBOARD broadcast over the Internet MBONE

			  August 15-17, 1994

		   8:30 AM - 5:30 PM,  PDT (UTC-7)

The ISMB conference is intended to bring together scientists who are
applying the technologies of advanced data modeling, machine learning,
artificial intelligence, robotics, parallel computing, and other
computational methods to problems in molecular biology.

We plan to broadcast the refereed paper presentations as well as those
of the invited speakers over the MBONE.  Those folks not able to make
it to the conference in person can still watch live video and audio of
the presentations on an Internet-connected UNIX workstation.
Furthermore, Internet viewers will be able to participate in question
& answer sessions via audio (microphone required) or email.

More information about the conference itself is available on the
World-Wide Web at ftp://camis.stanford.edu/pub/altman/www/ismb.html.
If you don't have access to Mosaic or a similar WWW viewer, you can
get this file by anonymous ftp and simply read through it.

In order to view the conference, both your workstation and network
need to be configured properly.  Someone with at least some small
amount of UNIX system administration experience ought to be able to
get this going with the investment of somewhere between 20 minutes and
6 hours of work.  Typically, this will be spread out over a few days
or weeks, as you will probably need to exchange some email with your
network provider.

As such, if you are interested in watching or participating, now would
a good time to get started.  I've attached my "Quick & Dirty Guide to
Getting Connected to the MBONE" to this posting.  Give this to your
local system administrator and see if he or she is interested/willing
to do this for you.

The conference will be announced in sd (the multicast session
directory) shortly beforehand.

Thanks in advance to Digital Equipment Corp., as they will be
providing us with the necessary computer hardware to make this happen.

Dan