2ND AND FINAL CALL FOR VOTES: MOLLUSCS/bionet.molbio.molluscs

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Mon Aug 15 18:48:21 EST 1994

This is the second and final call for votes on the following proposal
to create the mailing list & newsgroup
MOLLUSCS/bionet.molbio.molluscs.  The proposal below was not modified
after the discussion period.

Permission is granted to post this message to the Mollusc Molecular
News mailing list.

*** NOTE *** We are currently running several votes for other
newsgroups, so please be certain to follow the voting directions
*carefully*!  If you just send in a message saying "YES" or "NO" it
will not be counted if it is not clear which proposal you are
responding to.

Proposed e-mail addresses:  molluscs at net.bio.net
                            molluscs at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion leader:  Dr. Elizabeth Grace Boulding
                    Dept. of Zoology
                    University of Guelph
                    Guelph, ON
                    N1G 2W1
                    Canada
                    telephone: (519) 824-4120 (x4961)
                    FAX: (519) 767-1656
                    email: boulding at uoguelph.ca

Proposal for moving the newsgroup Mollusc Molecular News to bionet:

The Mollusc Molecular News is a newsgroup with approximately 200
members whose research involves working with mollusc DNA.  Past topics
of discussion have included PCR and RAPD primers that are useful for
molluscs, dna isolation methods that are helpful in removing mollusc
mucus from DNA, and changes in mitochondrial gene order among
different groups of molluscs.  I also compile a hard copy newsletter
over email every year and mail it out via Canada Post to everyone on
our mailing list.  I agree to continue as discussion leader once our
group is moved to bionet.  We would like status as a full-fledged
newsgroup from the beginning so our postings can be archived and
available through USENET.

Dr. Elizabeth Grace Boulding

Voting on the proposal for MOLLUSCS/bionet.molbio.molluscs will run
through 24:00 hrs Pacific Time on 30 August 1994.  Please send your
vote to either of the following addresses:

Address                               Location        Network
-------                               --------        -------
biovote at daresbury.ac.uk               U.K.            JANET
biovote at net.bio.net                   U.S.A.          Internet/BITNET

PLEASE BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE FORMAT BELOW - WE OFTEN RUN MORE THAN ONE
VOTE AT A TIME SO A SIMPLE "YES" OR "NO" MESSAGE WITHOUT THE NEWSGROUP
NAME MAY BE AMBIGUOUS.  Your vote should contain a single line:

YES on MOLLUSCS

if you favor allowing the creation of this newsgroup or

NO on MOLLUSCS

if you think that this proposal will adversely affect the
BIOSCI/bionet system.  While not intended to be an exhaustive list of
possible concerns (more specific concerns may have been raised during
the discussion period on BIOFORUM/bionet.general and interested
readers are referred to these), some general reasons for voting NO
might be if you are concerned about newsgroup proliferation and/or
believe that the proposed group will not be utilized, or if you think
that the proposed newsgroup would substantially duplicate or overlap
with the function of existing newsgroups.  If you are simply not
interested in participating in the newsgroup above, please don't cast
a NO vote, but instead just don't vote at all.

The newsgroup proposal must receive at least 80 YES votes to pass and
the number of YES votes must be greater than the number of NO votes by
at least 40.  Discussion of the newsgroup proposal is now closed and
we strongly discourage posting any messages in other forums about the
fact that a CALL FOR VOTES has been issued.

				biosci-help at net.bio.net