IMPORTANT UPDATE - BIOSCI-SERVER not back in action yet

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Mon Feb 7 22:14:59 EST 1994

We are continuing to clean up problems after the OS and sendmail
upgrades last week.

The problem with the biosci-server was worse than I expected yesterday
and has not yet been resolved.  The software changes apparently
affected the server program, not only rendering it apparently
inoperative to the end user, but, better yet 8-), causing it to
truncate or delete entire mailing list files whenever someone sent in
an unsubscribe request.

The mailing lists have been carefully restored from backups and
massaged further to try to accomodate requests that were sent in to
the server after the backup (people using mail may have lost some
postings in the interim from some lists - 13 lists were affected).
The biosci-server at net.bio.net is currently aliased to
biosci-help at net.bio.net, our manual help address.  We will process
subscription mail manually until the system staff can fix the problem
with the subscription server.

We hope we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but
may still discover other bugs.  Although we have resolved some
problems by doing the upgrade, we are trying to fix other services
that the upgrade may have broken, so please call any problems that you
may notice to our attention at

biosci-help at net.bio.net

and NOT to my personal address where your message may lay unseen for
weeks.

				biosci-help at net.bio.net