IMPORTANT SYSTEM UPDATE from net.bio.net

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Thu Feb 10 16:41:09 EST 1994

We believe that we have worked the problems out of our OS and sendmail
upgrades and news-to-mail and mail-to-news gateways here at
net.bio.net.  The load on our machine is back down in more reasonable
ranges after the OS upgrade and kernel rebuild, and the newer sendmail
version and the gateway software appears to be getting along amicably
finally.  We went through a period two days back during which mail
distribution was down and those participating by e-mail may have
missed some messages during this period.  Please accept our apologies
for this problem.

So, is it time to sit back and relax yet?  Unfortunately no.  We have
been gatewaying mail to bioforum at net.bio.net into news successfully for
a couple of weeks now while all of the other newsgroup addresses have
been forwarded to our colleagues at Daresbury.  We will be switching
the forwarding off later this afternoon on the other groups, so please
let us know (at biosci-help at net.bio.net) if you experience any new
problems (I don't anticipate any but then ...).

The biosci-server problem has not been fixed yet and subscription mail
sent to that address continues to be forwarded to
biosci-help at net.bio.net for manual processing.

There continues to be problems with some of the WAIS sources:
biosci.src and biology-journal-contents.src  It may be a while before
these are fixed still.  We will be bringing in a new disk soon and
need to do some "furniture moving" first.  The address source was
working the last time that I checked but there is also a backlog of
entries which need to be added.  If you've sent your entry in and
don't see it yet, don't worry.  It is stored in the processing queue.

I also have the on-going mail backlog problem in my personal mail file
which was aggravated by having to attend to other issues above.
Suffice it to say that a glut of TOCs on the journals group and
several announcements on BIONEWS/bionet.announce and SCIENCE-RESOURCES
will be released soon.  I didn't want to send these out until the
system was back in better shape.  If you sent mail to my personal
address (kristoff) that I was not expecting, it may still take several
weeks before you hear from me.  Please remember to send all
BIOSCI-related issues for our site to biosci-help at net.bio.net, not to
my personal address.

Finally, the two new newsgroups approved last month should finally be
established shortly.

I apologize profusely for all of the problems.  Having run what I
regarded as an excellent service for many years, the last two months
have been tremendously embarrassing.  The personnel turnover in the
computer systems group here complicated an expeditious resolution of
the situation and meant that we had to hire and bring new staff up to
speed while contending with these problems.  Despite all of the
problems, Dave Mack has performed admirably under fire, and I'd like
to thank him for his considerable efforts over the last few weeks.
I'm sure this was an abrupt introduction to a new job for him.

I'd also like to thank Alan Bleasby and staff at Daresbury for
helping with the mail forwarding while our mail-to-news gateways were
down.  Despite our bout with mail duplications here, the system kept
functioning for the vast majority of the time during this period
thanks to their help.

Finally, I'd like to thank our readers for putting up with my various
test messages and other inconveniences.  We are not completely out of
the woods yet, but hope to be soon.  Please don't send me any
condolences 8-), I don't need more e-mail at this time!!!  I'm looking
forward to soon providing *new* services again instead of having to
deal with the frustrating task of shoring up existing ones.

				biosci-help at net.bio.net