BIOSCI WAIS UPDATE: PROGRESS!!!!

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Fri Feb 25 00:53:57 EST 1994

I am happy to announce that we now have two of the three BIOSCI WAIS
sources operational.  I am also delighted to announce that Dave Mack
replaced our previous version of WAIS with Don Gilbert's modified
version which allows the inclusion of Boolean "and" and "not"
operators in the query string as well as the use of partial phrase
queries such as Stanf*, etc.  This announcement is a bit premature
because the user documentation has not yet been updated to reflect
this change, but will be soon.  However, for those who have used Don's
excellent modifications at Indiana and other sites, I wanted to let
you know that they are also available here now for direct WAIS queries
or via WAISMAIL.

Dave Mack also fixed the biology-journals-contents.src WAIS index
today.  Both it and the biologists-addresses source are now
operational for direct WAIS queries and for access via WAISMAIL.
Please note that, because a few of the journals that we distribute on
BIO-JOURNALS/bionet.journals.contents do not follow our format
recommendations, WAIS hits on text from those journals will not be
retrieved in the usual

AU
TI
SO

format.  The vast majority of our TOCs do adhere to the above format
fortunately.  Please rest assured that any "deviant" hits that you
might find are not due to software bugs but to format issues.  (We
might not index non-standard TOCs in the future.)  I should also note
that I will be posting my backlog of journal TOCs probably tomorrow
and next week, so BIO-JOURNALS/bionet.journals.contents readers should
brace themselves.  The address database will also be expanded shortly
with additional entries received in the last month.

The main BIOSCI index, biosci.src, was crashing because of disk space
problems.  A new disk was installed today, and we anticipate that
biosci.src will be operational again soon.  In the interim, queries of
biosci.src either directly or via WAISMAIL will continue to fail.
Please watch this forum for further updates.

I want to thank Dave publicly for his **excellent** efforts since he
began here last month.  Our computer is running much more efficiently;
the news and mail systems have been successfully brought up to new
working software versions; and now we are tackling the last problem
with our WAIS sources.

In the very near future I expect that we will be done with repairs and
will be back to the point where we will be adding significant new
features.  We will be expanding our gopher services at net.bio.net
including providing direct access through gopher to the WAIS sources
and will also provide WWW access in the future.

My thanks to all of you for your patience and support during this
difficult transition period for us.  Maybe I will finally even be able
to get my personal e-mail file back under control soon 8-)!

				biosci-help at net.bio.net