IMPORTANT: Serious violation of bionet.prof-society.* vote

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Wed Jun 15 22:01:04 EST 1994

It has come to my attention that a graduate student who is personally
opposed to the bionet.prof-society.* proposal which is currently
undergoing a vote, recently took an action in outright violation of
stated BIOSCI voting policy.

In a stated attempt to bring in negative votes from outside the BIOSCI
readership community, an appeal was made in the news.groups and
bionet.general newsgroups for NO votes on the following proposal after
the Call for Votes was issued.  The voting policy, as can be seen at
the end of the CFV below, has always explicitly forbidden the posting
of vote solicitations after the issuance of the CFV and was
particularly intended to prevent postings on non-BIOSCI forums to
avoid influencing the outcome of votes by people who do not regularly
participate in these newsgroups.  This policy is important because the
number of votes needed to approve or disapprove a BIOSCI proposal are
lower than those in the USENET mainstream by design, i.e., to put less
obstacles in the face of biologists' use of the net.  These lower
limits only make sense within the context of the size of the BIOSCI
community, not when the users of the Internet at large are invoked.

In particular an appeal to the news.groups newsgroup is an attempt to
have non-biologists, e.g., news systems administrators who may know
nothing of the issues discussed about this proposal, send in votes to
influence the outcome.

There are clear grounds to declare the vote invalid and start over
again because of this interference, but, since I have two major
professional societies (FASEB and ASCB) currently awaiting the outcome
of the vote on this proposal and other FASEB-affiliated societies who
will likely follow later, and since this would give the graduate
student in question the pleasure of having singlehandedly delayed the
process for these societies by several more weeks, I am issuing instead
one final appeal to the BIOSCI readership, i.e., the biology
community, not USENET administrators who are unfamiliar with the
issues involved on this proposal, to give me their opinion on this
issue.  Assuming that there are no further posts in violation of our
policies, I will abide by the outcome of the vote.  Please send in to
biovote at net.bio.net either your "YES ON PS-EXEMPT" or "NO ON
PS-EXEMPT" vote before 00 hrs Pacific Time on 27 June as detailed
below.  If you missed the discussion about this proposal held late
last month on bionet.general, you can find it in the archives on
net.bio.net via gopher in the BIOFORUM folder under item 9405 or via
FTP in pub/BIOSCI/BIOFORUM/9405.

				Sincerely,

				David Kristofferson, Ph.D.
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager