OLIGONUCLEOTIDES/bionet.molbio.oligos does NOT pass: 49 YES to 19 NO

David Kristofferson kristoff at net.bio.net
Thu Jun 23 17:56:46 EST 1994

I'm sorry to have to report that the proposal for
OLIGONUCLEOTIDES/bionet.molbio.oligos did not pass.  The vote was 49
YES to 19 NO.  According to our regulations:

"The proposal must collect 80 YES votes in 30 days and the number of
YES votes must exceed the number of NO votes by at least 40 to pass."

I also note the following from our rules,

"If a proposal is not passed by the readers, there will be a three
month period before it can be brought up for another vote."

This proposal can be raised again on or after 22 September if Dr.
Ortigao wants to give it another shot.  In the interim it would be a
good idea to drum up some additional interest.

				biosci-help at net.bio.net

Proposed e-mail addresses: oligos at net.bio.net
                           oligos at daresbury.ac.uk

Discussion leader:
			J.F. Ramalho Ortigao
			University of Ulm
			Section for Polymers
			D-89069 Ulm, Germany

			Tel. +49 731 502 3162
			Fax. +49 731 502 3159
			Internet: Flavio.Ortigao at physik.uni-ulm.de
			Bitnet:   Ortigao at dulruu51

Proposal:
I would like to propose the creation of a new group devoted to
chemically synthesized oligonucleotides and their applications

Justification:
In the last decade chemical synthesis of nucleic acids has moved from
being a exotic scientific pursuit to which a few experts were
dedicated, to became rutine in most laboratories. Oligonucleotides
have found application in almost every field of modern biology and
medicine. Notwithstanding, there are many aspects of their synthesis
and modification which are not rutine, and demand some degree of
expertise. Formation of this discussion group will provide a forum for
the exchange of ideas, problems and methodologies among scientists
from different specialities, both from the chemical synthesis side as
well as from the application side.

Formation of this newsgroup will provide:

***a forum for the discussion of new ideas and recent developments of
   the various branches of science involved in this field;
***a source of information for scientist entering this field;
***a bulletin board for the announcement of scientific events, funding
   sources and job opportunities;
***means for initiating collaborations among the participants;
***announcement of the availability of novel reagents and other materials;
***a depository of practical advices and other information;
***a source of quick help on specific methodological problems.

The newsgroup is expected to run unmoderated and I am willing to act as the
current coordinator.