Drexler to talk on polymer based molecular machines

Ralph Merkle merkle at parc.xerox.com
Thu Mar 3 01:31:47 EST 1994

######  Public talk by Dr. K. Eric Drexler  ########

Nanosystems Study Group

Meeting:  Monday, March 7, 1994
    7:30 PM
    Genentech Conference Center
    Building 5  (see directions below)

    We are meeting at the Genentech Conference Center, South San Francisco.
    This meeting is convenient for people from Berkeley, The City, and Marin,
    as well as Silicon Valley.
    We wish to thank Genentech for generously providing the meeting
    facility.

#####  Speaker: Dr. K. Eric Drexler  #####
Progress Towards Molecular Machine Systems

     This talk will focus on recent progress in understanding the design
 of molecular machines made from synthetically accessible polymers,
 including proteins.  An engineering approach indicates that this is more
 practical than the structure of natural proteins alone might suggest.
 The talk parallels the author's forthcoming article in the Annual Review
 of Biophysics and Biomolecular Structures, 1994.
     Dr. Drexler is the author of 'Nanosystems', 'Engines of Creation',
 and a coauthor of 'Unbounding the Future'.

There will be a short introduction to the basic ideas of nanotechnology at
 the beginning of the meeting.

#########  Meetings after this one  ###########
We will be having speakers about every two months in the future, hopefully
 at Genentech.

##### Directions #####
 From Highway 101, take the Grand Avenue exit in South San Francisco.  Go
 toward the bay (east) on Grand Ave. about 1/4 mile.  Turn left onto
 Forbes (near Sterling Suites).  Follow Forbes about a mile to the
 Genentech Campus.  Park just before the road makes a sharp right turn and
 becomes San Bruno Ave.  Building 5 is on the right.  There is lots of
 parking by Bldg. 5.  Follow signs to door 5-7.

Program Chairman:  Tom Follett  (follett at well.sf.ca.us)
Leader:  Ted Kaehler
     Net:  Kaehler2 at AppleLink.Apple.com
     Phone:  408-974-6241    Fax: 408-862-6430
     Mailing address:  One Infinite Loop, MS 301-3E
             Cupertino, CA 95014