Russian Biological Database Workshop

Mark mark at csi.gmu.edu
Tue Mar 29 20:32:01 EST 1994

An Informal Workshop

Biological Database Integration

June 8 - June 10, 1994

Pushchino, Russia

We invite friends and colleagues interested in the integration of
biological dat abases to join us for an informal workshop in
Pushchino, Russia, in late spring.  There are substantial benefits be
gained by successfully integrating existing biological
databases. There are numerous Russian databases that need cross
referencing with Western counter parts. Toward this end, we wish to
foster an environment in which researchers exchange insights, data,
and tools. This particular meeting will focus on topics relating to
metabolism, since the new availability of DBEMP --- with its extensive
encoding of the literature relating to metabolism --- will offer
numerous categories of data that have not been available befor e.  In
addition, we will invite a number of representatives from the Russian
sci entific community to discuss their biological databases. It is,
perhaps, worth noting that the Russian scientific community developed
a major computational infrastructure similar to that which has
developed in Europe, America and Japan.  They created substantial
collections of data ranging from small efforts done by single experts
curating a limited class of data to huge collections on topics like
metabolism, medicinal properties of compounds, 3D structural data,
sequence dat a, culture collections, and genetic markers. We intend to
provide a framework where the contents of these databases can be
discussed examined, and compared with what is currently available in
Europe and America.

The meeting will be hosted by Evgenii Selkov, the leader of the team
that has de veloped DBEMP over the past decade (the team now includes
24 individuals).  The registration fee ($550 US), will cover housing
and meals, as well as transportation to and from the Moscow airport
(Pushchino is about 100 kilometers or so south of Moscow). In
addition, each participant will be given a coupon worth $400 towards
a purchase of DBEMP (normally sold at $400 for individuals and $4000
for commercial users). The database includes a detailed encoding of
all of the quantitative data in over 10,000 articles on metabolism
and enzymes. Graphical representations of the pathways described in
DBEMP will also be available. A Prolog version of the pathways will
also be made available, and we should be able to recast it to any
other desired format on machines that will be available at the
workshop.

This meeting will not feature scheduled talks; rather, instead we
envision organ izing impromptu discussions on topics of common
interest relating to the goal of integrating Russian biological
databases with other international databases. We anticipate a fair
amount of discussion relating to metabolism and enzymes, but other
topics such as availability and exchange of data relating to
phylogeny, alignments, compounds, motifs, and maps will certainly come
up.

We expect to spend about half of the time discussing the contents, use
and how to curate the DBEMP, with its encoding of 10,000 articles on
metabolism and enzymes. Informal presentations on the contents of
this database, on how it can be connected to existing databases, and
how it can be used to address specific comp utational problems will be
discussed. We plan on offering tables that interrelate records in the
DBEMP with specific enzyme numbers, specific organisms, and specific
metabolic pathways.

The remainder of the meeting will include poster sessions and informal
demos by representatives of other database efforts within the FSU. We
hope to include a number of the larger efforts, including databases
relating to sequence analysis, the study of proteins, human genetics,
medicine, and pharmacology. If you are a ctively involved in either
the generation or use of integrated biological data, we urge you to
consider joining us.

Workshop supporters:

Chris Beecher
Anthony Bonner
Terry Gaasterland
Pat Gillevet
Nat Goodman
Niels Larsen
Natalia Maltsev
George Michaels
Harold Morowitz
Ross Overbeek
Evgenii Selkov
Rick Stevens
Alexander Zamyatnin

Registration Information

The workshop is limited to 125 participants. To register for this
workshop, complete the registration form and mail with your check made
payable to George Mason University, or credit card authorization to:

Center for Professional Development
Business Office, Mail Stop 3G3
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444

To register by FAX, fill out the form below and send it via FAX to
703/993-2112. Follow up by mailing the original enrollment form with
your payment. Registration fees must be received by May 30, 1994.

For further registration information, please call the Center for
Professional Development at (703)993-2090.

Center for Professional Development

Mail Stop 3G3
Fairfax, Virginia 22030-4444
Workshop Questions can be directed to either

Ross Overbeek (overbeek at mcs.anl.gov)
George Michaels (gmichael at mason1.gmu.edu)

NOTE: If you would like to use Mosaic to register for this conference,
the URL is: "http://csi.gmu.edu/gsm/ConferenceForm.html"

Russian Metabolic Database Conference Registration

   first_name =
   last_name =
   e-mail =
   title =
   organization =
   address =
   city =
   state =
   zip =
   phone =
   fax =
   payment_method = CHECK, VISA, MASTERCARD
   payment_amount = $550

Credit Card Authorization

Credit Card Number:

Expiration Date: