Biocomputing Survival Guide,V2.0b

EMBnet Switzerland embnet at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
Mon Oct 10 04:41:00 EST 1994

Colleagues,

the Biocomputing Survival Guide is available in its version 2.0 as
'beta test'. This document  is intended to serve as a cookbook for
the casual user of computers in molecular biology.It is not inten-
ded  to  explain  science  or  make  the programs' algorithms more
transparent.

The  Guide  starts  with  general introductory remarks on computer
usage  and  trouble  shooting.  Softwarewise, the material focuses
mostly on the Wisconsin Sequence Analysis  Package  from  Genetics
Computer Group, Inc., 575 Science Drive,  Madison,  Wisconsin, USA
53711. Excerpts from the Program Manual for the Wisconsin Package,
Version 8,  copyright  1994 by Genetics Computer Group, by permis-
sion of Genetics Computer Group.

The previous versions of the Guide were available only as PC-based
word processor format.  Learning from the past, the new version is
written in a new format  which  requires a separate application to
gerenate RTF, LaTEX, or HTML files.The JAM (Just Another Metafile)
format  allows  to adapt the survival guide to any individual site
in a few minutes.All you need is to modify a few files and process
these in the 'jam' processor, which is an application known to run
on many opreating systems. The modifications are so easy that they
can be made even by the end user.

The Guide is available on-line as Hypertext  on  the  Swiss EMBnet
node WWW server as

The ftp archive  is bioftp.unibas.ch, directory survival/ . Please
note that you should only use the survival/ directory. Thank you.

N O T E
=======

We call  this a  'beta' version. If you find any problems, please
let us know.  The current HTML version can also write 'reflector'
and 'receptor'  files.  These  are  not ready yet for general re-
lease.

Acknowledgements: The  program  writing  was  supported  by Basel
University, and the  Swiss  National Science Foundation  (NF).

--
|EMBnet SWITZERLAND       Biocomputing|  eMail       embnet at comp.bioz.unibas.ch
|  Biozentrum der Universitaet Basel  |  FTP / GOPHER server   bioftp.unibas.ch
|Klingelbergstrasse 70   CH 4056 Basel|  Archive FTP server       nic.switch.ch
+---The Home of HASSLE, on port 375---+  WWW server at    beta.embnet.unibas.ch