New PLANT-EDUCATION prototype newsgroup

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Thu Sep 8 17:05:09 EST 1994

I enclose the charter and subscription info for the new
PLANT-EDUCATION prototype newsgroup (mailing list).  This group is
available from net.bio.net only by e-mail for a six month trial period
prior to voting.

				biosci-help at net.bio.net

Information for PLANT-EDUCATION

Prototype Newsgroup Name:  PLANT-EDUCATION

Mailing address:           plant-ed at net.bio.net

Discussion leaders:

Jonathan D. Monroe,  e-mail: fac_jmonroe at vax1.acs.jmu.edu
Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, James Madison University,
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

Susan R. Singer,  e-mail: ssinger at carleton.edu
Associate Professor, Biology Department, Carleton College,
Northfield, MN 55057

Charter:

The purpose of the PLANT-EDUCATION newsgroup is to function as a means
for communication among instructors, lab preparators, and graduate
assistants who teach courses in any aspect of plant biology including
introductory botany, plant physiology, plant tissue culture, plant
molecular biology, etc. at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

This newsgroup would provide:

	A resource for the exchange of laboratory methodologies and classroom
	activities.

	A source of quick help for last-minute troubleshooting, conditions for
	plant growth, sources of materials, and practical advice.

	A forum for discussing open-ended investigative laboratory projects.

	A forum for discussing textbooks.

	An archive of searchable information for future use by instructors of
	plant courses.

Subscribers are welcome.  Contributions within the functions outlined
above are encouraged.

The newsgroup is unmoderated.

Subscribing to this list:
-------------------------

Log in to the computer account in which you would like to receive mail
(not an account that you use infrequently) and send a mail message to
the Internet address

biosci-server at net.bio.net

Leave the Subject: line of the message blank (anything entered on it
is ignored) and enter the following line into the body of the mail
message:

subscribe plant-ed

This message will be automatically read by our computer and your
e-mail address will be extracted from the mail header and added to the
list.

Canceling your subscription:

in the body of the message.  Please be sure to send the message from
the account whose address matches the one on the list.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM:
----------------------

Please send a message to the Internet address

biosci-help at net.bio.net

and someone on the staff here will help you.  PLEASE DO NOT send mail
to our personal e-mail addresses as this will delay a response to your
request for help.

How to post a message to the group:
-----------------------------------

Simply mail your message to the Internet address

plant-ed at net.bio.net

and your message will be distributed automatically to everyone on the
list.  There is no editorial intervention.  PLEASE DO NOT send
subscription requests to this address as you will bother everyone on
the newsgroup.  Please use the biosci-server at net.bio.net address as
instructed above for subscription/cancellation requests.

How to reply to a message on the group:
You must be certain that your reply contains the address

plant-ed at net.bio.net

in the mail header if you want to share it with everyone on the group.
Otherwise in most cases your reply may go back to only the original
poster of the message to which you are replying.

ALWAYS be certain that you examine the address on your messages before
you send them!!!  Once a message is sent there is no way to cancel it
or bring it back!!!  Some non-Internet compliant mail systems may
attempt to send replies to our error-trapping address called
BIOSCI-REQUEST.  If yours does this, please be sure to readdress your
message to plant-ed at net.bio.net if you want to send it to the
newsgroup.

How to look at archives of the list:
------------------------------------

Since this is a "prototype newsgroup" (more on this term below), our
archive services are not as extensive as for a complete newsgroup.  We
maintain an FTP archive of messages which can also be accessed by
Gopher, but the messages are *not* indexed for searching and
retrieval.  The terms "FTP," "Gopher," and "WAIS" and how to use them
are explained in the BIOSCI FAQ sheet which follows in a subsequent
message.  For those who already know about these, suffice it to say
that you can use anonymous FTP to our machine net.bio.net
[134.172.2.69] and look in the directory pub/BIOSCI/PLANT-EDUCATION
for posting archives.  Each file is assigned a date such as 9312 for
December 1993.  Please note that ours is a UNIX system and all file
and directory names are case-sensitive, i.e., upper case file names
are different from lower case names.  You can also access these same
files via Gopher if you start a gopher session using net.bio.net as
your gopher server.  The files are in the PLANT-EDUCATION directory.
Finally, you can also access the gopher archives via WWW/Mosaic.  The
URL is gopher://net.bio.net/.

Future Plans for the group:

This is a "prototype newsgroup" in our terminology which means that it
is currently distributed only by e-mail and not on USENET.  You will
find it listed near the end of the BIOSCI info sheet, not in the main
list of BIOSCI newsgroups.  In six months there will be a vote to
either convert it to a full-fledged USENET newsgroup or shut it down.
Information about USENET follows in the BIOSCI FAQ.  The rules for
establishing BIOSCI groups are appended below.

Once again, if you have any administrative questions that require
personal assistance, please address them to biosci-help at net.bio.net.