Update to Bionet news archive at IUBio

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Aug 28 14:13:20 EST 1995

The bionet news collection at IUBio archive has been revised
and updated.  IUBio has archived all the bionet newsgroups
since December 1991.  However the software used for this
was old and cranky, and required frequent attention.  Now
with new software, this news archive should be in better shape.
Bionet news stored here now totals about 350 megabytes,
with another 350 megabytes of indices for searching it.

You will find this archive at iubio.bio.indiana.edu,
by FTP (see the usenet/bionet/ folder) and by HTTP and Gopher
(see the Network-News folder).  The HTML/HTTP search
results include some hypertext cross-referencing
to follow news threads.

You will find news searching items in this Network-News folder,
also the following references should be stable over time,
if you wish to store links to them.

For HTML output, use this:
  http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/.bin/netnewsq.html?your-query
For gopher & plain text results, use this:
  gopher://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/77/.bin/netnewsq?your-query

In the course of updating, I've discontinued archiving
the sci.bio newsgroup.  There is a file of the
past 4 years of this group available by FTP for
any who wish to save it.  Find it at
  ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/usenet/sci-bio.tar.gz
This is about 55 megabytes when uncompressed. It will be
erased in a few months.

Please let me know if you find problems using this news
archive.

Thanks go to members of the Internet and people at
Indiana University Biology department who have provided
funds for the hardware this news archive is stored on.

-- Don
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu