DIGITAL IMAGING AND LASER APPLICATIONS IN MICROSCOPY WORKSHOP

Timothy A. Skimina t-skimina at nwu.edu
Fri Mar 3 18:36:51 EST 1995

DIGITAL IMAGING AND LASER APPLICATIONS IN MICROSCOPY
is a workshop offered at Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago,=
 IL =

on June 25-30, 1995.

Topics Covered:
=80 Digital Image Acquisition
=80 Digital Image Processing
=80 3-D Image Acquisition & Processing
=80 Fundamentals of Lasers
=80 Optical Trapping and Manipulation
=80 Cell Microsurgery
=80 Photon Tunneling Microscopy
=80 Fluorescence Recovery After
  Photobleaching (FRAP)
=80 Atomic Force Microscopy
=80 Near-Field Optical Microscopy
   =

The workshop format will include lectures, laboratory exercises, and
opportunities for hands-on experience with state-of-the-art equipment.

Course Directors:
Daniel L. Farkas, PhD, Associate Director of the NSF Center for Light
Microscope Imaging and Biotechnology, Carnegie Mellon University,
Pittsburgh

Bruce J. Tromberg, PhD, Associate Director of the Beckman Laser
Institute and the Departments of Physiology-Biophysics and Surgery,
University of California at Irvine

Additional Faculty:
Fredrick Lanni, PhD, Carnegie Mellon University
Mohan Srinivasarao, PhD, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Robert Bacallao, MD, Northwestern University
Jeremy Gilbert, PhD, Northwestern University
Philip Hockberger, PhD, Northwestern University
Kevin McKenna, PhD, Northwestern University
Joseph T. Walsh, PhD, Northwestern University

Tuition: $1,200
Enrollment: limited to 15
Application due:  April 1, 1995

A limited number of half-tuition scholarships are available for graduate
students. Applications will be evaluated by an admissions committee, and
accepted applicants will be notified by April 15. Northwestern University=

reserves the right to change without notice any statement in this
advertisement concerning, but not limited to, rules, policies, tuition,
fees, curricula, and courses. Northwestern University is an equal
opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer.

Application Form should include the following information:
Name
Title  =

Dept.
Organization
Street   =

City, State
Zip Code =

Phone number
Fax   number
E-mail address
 =

 =

For more information, contact:
Philip Hockberger, PhD
Dept. of Physiology M211                    =

School of Medicine
Northwestern University                       =

303 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL  60611-3008                    =

(312) 503-5625
(312) 503-5101 FAX                   =

p-hockberger at nwu.edu

Sponsors: =

The workshop is sponsored by The Whitaker Foundation, National Science
Foundation (NSF), Beckman Laser Institute, and Northwestern University.

Daily Schedule:
Saturday (June 24)
     Participants arrive - housing available
          Abbott Hall Dormitory ($20/night + tax)
          Days Inn ($66/night + tax)
        =

Sunday (June 25)
   9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> Digital Image Acquisition and Display,
Lecture I (Hockberger)
   10:15 AM - Noon --> Lab I (Hockberger)
   Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
   2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> Digital Image Acquisition and Display, =

      Lecture II (Hockberger)
   3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (Hockberger)
   7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab
        =

Monday (June 26)
   9:00 AM -10:00 AM --> Digital Image Processing, Lecture I
      (McKenna)
   10:15 AM-Noon --> Lab I (McKenna)
   Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
   2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> Digital Image Processing, Lecture II
      (McKenna)
   3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (McKenna)
   7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab
        =

Tuesday (June 27)
   9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> 3D Image Processing, Lecture I (Bacallao)
   10:15 AM - Noon -->, Lecture II (Bacallao)
   Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
   2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> 3D Image Processing, Lecture II (Farkas)
   3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (Farkas)
   7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab
    =

Wednesday (June 28)
   9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> Laser Fundamentals, Lecture I (Walsh)
   10:15 AM - Noon --> Optical Trapping & Microsurgery, Lecture II
      (Tromberg)
   Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
   2:00 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab (Walsh-Tromberg)
   7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab
    =

Thursday (June 29)
   9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> FRAP, Lecture I (Lanni)
   10:15 AM - Noon --> Lab I (Lanni)
   Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
   2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> PTM, Lecture II (Srinivasarao)
   3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (Srinivasarao)
   7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab
        =

Friday (June 30)
   9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> AFM, Lecture I (Gilbert)
   10:15 AM - Noon --> Lab I (Gilbert)
   Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
   2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> Near-field optical Microscopy, Lecture II
      (speaker to be Named) (sponsored by TopoMetrix)
   3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (sponsored by TopoMetrix)
   6:00 PM --> workshop ends