DIGITAL IMAGING AND LASER APPLICATIONS IN MICROSCOPY

Timothy A. Skimina t-skimina at nwu.edu
Thu Mar 16 01:45:19 EST 1995

DIGITAL IMAGING AND LASER APPLICATIONS IN MICROSCOPY
is a workshop offered at Northwestern University Medical School,
Chicago, IL on June 25-30, 1995.

Topics Covered:
    - Digital Image Acquisition and Display
    - Digital Image Processing
    - 3-D Image Acquisition and Processing
    - Fundamentals of Lasers
    - Optical Trapping and Manipulation
    - Cell Microsurgery
    - Photon Tunneling Microscopy (PTM)
    - Fluorescence Recovery After
        Photobleaching (FRAP)
    - Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
    - Near-Field Optical Microscopy

The workshop format will include lectures, laboratory exercises, and
opportunities for hands-on experience with state-of-the-art equipment.

Course Directors:
Daniel L. Farkas, PhD, Associate Director of the NSF Center for Light
Microscope Imaging and Biotechnology, Carnegie Mellon University,
Pittsburgh

Bruce J. Tromberg, PhD, Associate Director of the Beckman Laser Institute
and the Departments of Physiology-Biophysics and Surgery, University of
California at Irvine

Additional Faculty:
Fredrick Lanni, PhD, Carnegie Mellon University
Mohan Srinivasarao, PhD, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Robert Bacallao, MD, Northwestern University
Jeremy Gilbert, PhD, Northwestern University
Philip Hockberger, PhD, Northwestern University
Kevin McKenna, PhD, Northwestern University
Joseph T. Walsh, PhD, Northwestern University

Tuition: $1,200
Enrollment: limited to 15
Application due:  April 1, 1995

A limited number of half-tuition scholarships are available for graduate
students. Applications will be evaluated by an admissions committee, and
accepted applicants will be notified by April 15. Northwestern University
reserves the right to change without notice any statement in this
advertisement concerning, but not limited to, rules, policies, tuition,
fees, curricula, and courses. Northwestern University is an equal
opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer.

Application Form should include the following information:
Name
Title
Dept.
Organization
Street
City, State
Zip Code
Phone number
Fax number
E-mail address

For more information, contact:
Philip Hockberger, PhD
Dept. of Physiology M211
School of Medicine
Northwestern University
303 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL  60611-3008
(312) 503-5625
(312) 503-5101 FAX
p-hockberger at nwu.edu

Or use the World Wide Web for more details
http://digimag2.darkroom.nwu.edu/home.html

Sponsors:
The workshop is sponsored by The Whitaker Foundation, National Science
Foundation (NSF), Beckman Laser Institute, and Northwestern University.

Daily Schedule:
Saturday (June 24)
     Participants arrive - housing available
       Abbott Hall Dormitory ($14-$20/night + tax)
       Days Inn ($66/night + tax)

Sunday (June 25)
     9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> Digital Image Acquisition and Display,
         Lecture I (Hockberger)
    10:15 AM - Noon --> Lab I (Hockberger)
    Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
    2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> Digital Image Acquisition and Display,
       Lecture II (Hockberger)
    3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (Hockberger)
    7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab

Monday (June 26)
     9:00 AM -10:00 AM --> Digital Image Processing, Lecture I (McKenna)
    10:15 AM-Noon --> Lab I (McKenna)
    Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
    2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> Digital Image Processing, Lecture II (McKenna)
    3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (McKenna)
    7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab

Tuesday (June 27)
     9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> 3D Imaging: Confocal Microscopy,
         Lecture I (Bacallao)
    10:15 AM - Noon -->, Lab I (Bacallao)
    Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
    2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> 3D Imaging: Deconvolution, Standing-Wave,
        and 2-Photon Excitation Microscopies, Lecture II (Farkas)
    3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (Farkas)
    7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab

Wednesday (June 28)
     9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> Laser Fundamentals, Lecture I (Walsh)
    10:15 AM - Noon --> Optical Trapping & Microsurgery,
        Lecture II (Tromberg)
    Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
    2:00 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab (Walsh-Tromberg)
    7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab

Thursday (June 29)
     9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> FRAP, Lecture I (Lanni)
    10:15 AM - Noon --> Lab I (Lanni)
    Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
    2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> PTM, Lecture II (Srinivasarao)
    3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (Srinivasarao)
    7:00 PM - 9:00 PM --> Open lab

Friday (June 30)
     9:00 AM - 10:00 AM --> AFM, Lecture I (Gilbert)
    10:15 AM - Noon --> Lab I (Gilbert)
    Noon - 2:00 PM --> Lunch
    2:00 PM - 3:00 PM --> Near-field optical Microscopy, Lecture II
        (speaker to be Named) (sponsored by TopoMetrix)
    3:15 PM - 5:00 PM --> Lab II (sponsored by TopoMetrix)
    6:00 PM --> workshop ends