IMPORTANT change to U.S. BIOSCI subscription server!

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Sat Oct 14 20:06:37 EST 1995

We completed some important clean-up work today on our older mailing
lists that were established before we adopted the majordomo list
management software a few years back.  The changes do not affect the
parallel bionet USENET newsgroups associated with the BIOSCI mailing
lists.  These changes affect only the U.S. BIOSCI site, not the
mailing lists at the U.K. site which uses different list management
software (MXT) with a different command set.

We did extensive editing on many mail system files today to ensure
that the <= 8 character e-mail address for each mailing list will be
the text that is used in the "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" commands
sent to biosci-server at net.bio.net.

For example, the mailing address for our METHODS-AND-REAGENTS group is

methods at net.bio.net.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the METHODS-AND-REAGENTS mailing
list, look at the address to the left of the @ sign above, i.e.,
"methods", and send one of following commands as appropriate to the
address biosci-server at net.bio.net:

subscribe methods
unsubscribe methods

PLEASE DO NOT send "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" commands to the
newsgroup address (e.g., methods at net.bio.net).  This will bother
everyone on the mailing list, but will not get you on or off the
subscription list!!

Again this message only affects e-mail users who signed up on the
mailing lists at the U.S. BIOSCI node at net.bio.net.  Please note
that the UK BIOSCI node uses different mailing list management
software which incorporates the bionet USENET newsgroup name in the
SUB command, e.g.,
    sub bionet-news.bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts

Twenty seven (27) mailing lists were affected by this change today.
Messages detailing the old and new server commands were sent
individually to each list that was affected.

				biosci-help at net.bio.net