PROPOSAL: alt.med.surgery.plastic

Christopher Stone cbstone at tucson.Princeton.EDU
Fri Apr 12 23:55:58 EST 1996

RATIONALE: alt.med.surgery.plastic

Although there are mailing lists and various sci.med.* newsgroups that
address different aspects of the medical profession, there is no Usenet
newsgroup to discuss plastic surgery.  Our proposal for
alt.med.surgery.plastic will fill this niche.

A proposal for sci.med.surgery.plastic recently failed.  It is hoped,
therefore, that an alt.* newsgroup will allow us to build up a readership
of both plastic surgeons and patients.  The rules for creating alt.*
groups are much less stringent than those for creating other groups, as
alt.* groups need not pass a formal vote for creation.

Please direct any questions to Steve Darnaud <hvpsbd at hofstra.edu> or
Chris Stone <cbstone at phoenix.princeton.edu>.  Barring any well-founded
objections, we anticipate creating this group within two weeks.

Interested users are asked to post comments in alt.config, to which
followups have been set.  We strongly encourage you to post your support
for this newsgroup.

CHARTER: alt.med.surgery.plastic

Sci.med.surgery.plastic is intended to be an unmoderated arena
for discussions relevant to plastic and reconstructive surgery.

This group is created to provide a forum for information, ideas,
issues and experiences regarding plastic and reconstructive
surgery.  Alt.med.surgery.plastic is designed for professionals
as well as laypeople.

Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to:

           * Argon, carbon-dioxide and copper vapor lasers.
           * Hemangiomas, vascular malformations and other
             birthmarks.
           * Procedures, innovations and results in endoscopic,
             microvascular and other reconstructive surgeries.
           * Scars, skin-grafts, breast implants, etc.
           * Dermabrasion and cryosurgery.
           * Cleft lip and palate, craniofacial synostosis and
             microsomia.
           * Other multi-disciplinary sectors - Dermatology,
             Hematology and Ophthalmology.

END CHARTER.

DISTRIBUTION:

This message is being posted to alt.config, sci.med, sci.med.nursing,
sci.med.occupational, misc.health.aids, misc.kids.health,
misc.kids.pregnancy, bionet.announce, and bionet.general.