Yeast Genome Searches from SGD

Mike Cherry cherry at genome.Stanford.EDU
Mon Apr 29 22:28:52 EST 1996

Congratulations to the hundreds of individuals that were involved in
determining the complete genomic sequence of yeast, and to the
thousands of researchers that can now ponder the first sequenced
eukaryotic genome.

The Saccharomyces Genome Database (SGD) is mirroring the sequence and
reference files released by MIPS on Wednesday.  We will be watching
for the completed annotations and mirror them too.

SGD is providing BLAST and FASTA searches against the complete genomic
sequence via the WWW.  To allow searches to occur we have placed
limits on the maximum number of simultaneous searches.  To help
minimize the load on our computer and allow others to have a shot at
running a search please query with a short sequence.  A TBLASTN search
performed with the full length sequence of a large gene can take more
than 5 minutes of CPU time to complete, while a 100 aa query sequence
will complete in less than a minute.

To perform a search against the complete Saccharomyces genome go to
the SGD home page and follow the links labelled BLAST or FASTA.

         http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Saccharomyces/

SGD is currently working to integrate the newly released sequence into
its database.

Mike

J. Michael Cherry                       Internet: cherry at genome.stanford.edu
Department of Genetics                  Stanford University School of Medicine
Medical Center, Room M311               Stanford, California  94305-5120
Voice: 415-723-7541                     FAX: 415-723-7016