Mentors sought for Science Education Project

phil at foresnt.com phil at foresnt.com
Mon Jan 15 10:42:33 EST 1996

We are engaged in a science education research and development effort under funding from the U.S.
Department of Education.  Our project focuses on using Internet-based curricula and resources to
supplement science education for physically disabled precollegiate students. Our initial work focuses
on visually and hearing impaired students, with the test population located at the West Virginia School
for the Deaf and the Blind.  Our project involves teaming students with mentors for a one month effort
involving original research in environmental sciences (forest ecosystems) and the establishment of an
on-line referred journal to report the results of their work.  We are seeking mentors for this effort.
Mentors should have a strong background in science, although it is not necessary that it be in
environmental sciences.  Mentors are sought who have experience in field research, the use of
computer models in science, publication and editing, and the management of R&D efforts.  Mentors
with environmental science experience are, of course, also being sought.  The project will occur in
March and the workload on mentors should be modest, ranging from two to eight hours over the
month of e-mail interactions.   We are also seeking sites (Web only) which contain environmental data
or environmental science material to which we can refer students.

Thank you for your help
Phil Speser,
Principal Investigator