tobacco seed bank

joseph c winter jwinter at musca.unm.edu
Tue Jan 23 08:54:01 EST 1996

(Due to the very positive response to this message, it will be reposted
each week, as long as there is sufficient interest)

We run a seed bank and education program at the University of New Mexico
that specializes in the collection, preservation, growth, and
distribution of traditional Native American tobacco seeds  -- i.e., seeds
of the different types of Nicotiana that are used by American Indians for
ceremonies, rituals, prayers, and related purposes (and NOT for habitual
or recreational smoking). Seeds will be sent at no cost to any Native
American requesting them, as long as they agree to use the resulting
tobacco only for traditional purposes. We also provide smoking-cessation
programs, anti-commercial tobacco education, presentations explaining the
natural and cultural history of tobacco and the beliefs and ceremonies
associated with it, and other tobacco education programs.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you are Native American and you would
like some seeds of the tobacco type grown or collected by your tribe.
Equally important, if you have seeds (or know someone who has them),
please send us some, so that we can add them to the bank, grow them, and
provide fresh seeds to other tribal members. Finally, please keep in mind
our education program, and remember --- tobacco is an extremely powerful,
sacred, and dangerous plant. When used properly, in small amounts in
traditional contexts, it is a source of power. When used improperly, such
as in cigarettes and other commercial products, it leads to illness and
death.

Thank you.

Joe Winter and Lawrence Shorty
Dept. of Anthropology