Conference: Medicinal Plants Biodiversity and Conservation
sbhat at medplant.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 17:05:59 EST 1996
MEDICINAL PLANTS FOR SURVIVAL: An International Conference on
Medicinal Plants Conservation, Utilisation, Trade and Intellectual and
Cultural Property Rights
Date: 16 - 20 February 1998.
Venue: National Institute of Advanced Studies, Indian Institute of
Science Campus, Bangalore - 560 012, India.
Foundation for Revitalisation of Local Health Traditions (FRLHT), No.50,
2nd Stage, MSH Layout, Anandnagar, Bangalore - 560 024, India
FRLHT is engaged in one of the most comprehensive efforts being
implemented in India to conserve medicinal plants in their natural
habitats. Its work is supported through a bi-lateral aid agreement
between the Government of India & DANIDA. However, FRLHT is concerned
not only with the question of conserving medicinal plant diversity but
also its associated cultural diversity.
The International Co-ordinating Committee will include representatives
from the Global Initiative for Traditional Systems (GIFTS) of Health,
Oxford, UK, Oxford Forestry Institute, IUFRO, BGCI, WWF, IUCN and other
1. Conservationists, conservation organizations, botanical gardens,
researchers & research institutes.
2. Medicinal plant database centres.
3. Health, environmental and agricultural NGOs.
4. Traditional medicine practitioners and institutions.
5. Government policy-makers on Plant Conservation and Traditional
6. Representatives from Health, Forestry, and Agriculture Departments
of national governments.
7. Representatives from centres for study of Indigenous Knowledge in
8. Representatives of industries based on Medicinal Plants &
Traditional Medicine Products.
9. Education and Research institutions in complementary medicine.
10. Multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies interested in medicinal plant
conservation policy and programs.
1. Conservation Action (in situ & ex situ)
3. National Conservation Policies
4. Community oriented applications in context of Primary Health Care
5. Domestication & Cultivation
6. Trade & Small Enterprise Development
7. Contributions of Indigenous Knowledge Systems
8. Traditional Knowledge & Resource Rights.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The conference will include invited and contributed papers, poster
sessions, exhibition & video, and visits to local sites of related
Abstracts of contributed papers should be sent to the
Conference Secretariat, FRLHT,
No.50, MSH Layout, 2nd Stage, 3rd Main
Anandnagar, Bangalore - 560 024, India.
FAX No. +91-80- 3334167
E-mail: root at frlht.ernet.in
Registration fee will be 300 USD until 31st March 1997. For Indian
delegates the registration fee will be Rs.1500/-. The fee includes
participation in all sessions, lunch & tea for all conference days and a
set of conference publications. Accommodation is not included. Details
of different types of accommodation available in nearby hotels will be
supplied to those who wish to attend.
FOR RECEIVING A COPY OF DETAILED ANNOUNCEMENT, PLEASE WRITE TO:
Foundation for Revitaliation of Local Health Traditions (FRLHT),
No.50, 2nd Stage, MSH Layout, Anandanagar, Bangalore-560024, India
E-mail: root at frlht.ernet.in
Darshan Shankar Tel : +91-80-3336909/3330348
Director, FRLHT Fax : +91-80-3334167
Bangalore, India. E-mail: <darshan at frlht.ernet.in>
Visit our Home page at :
More information about the Bionews