Science Guide Web site

Robert W. Georgantas III rgeorgan at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Mon Apr 21 19:23:38 EST 1997

[The following post has been approved for distribution based on the
included explanation below- DK]

I am a student with the Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences
at Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine.  I have started up a
small internet site called "The Science Guide" located at the URL
http://www.scienceguide.com.  I started the site to address the lack of a
unifying source of information for scientists on the internet.  As you
can see in the announcement below the Guide consists of a number of
sections designed to help scientists find information on the internet,
The news section is currently our most popular service receiving over 4K
visits per day, with a hundreds of subscribers to the Daily News Emailer.
Since we do not charge for our service, and since we are  not accepting
advertisers; we have only a small number of routes by which to spread the
word about the Guide (we have no advertising budget as well).  One of
these routes is by posting to Usenet groups.  We have done this on a
small basis by looking at a news group to assure that the users of the
group are appropriate for our service, and then posting the Announcement
enclosed below to the group.  We Do Not Spam.  Over the last month we
have posted to roughly forty news groups and have received a great
response in the form of emails telling us how useful our site is, and
will become as we add more content to it.  We have not received a single
negative response, which we have interpreted to mean that our site is
useful enough to scientists that they do not mind our "off-subject"
posting.

------------------Announcement Text------------------------

Announcing the SCIENCE GUIDE.
http://www.scienceguide.com

A New Internet Directory and Information Service run by Scientists and
Physicians for Scientists and Physicians.  After visiting the Guide, If
you have any suggestion for making the Guide better please let us know.
(webmaster at scienceguide.com)

The Science Guide consists of a number of different sections designed to
help the scientist and physician find information on the internet and to
sponsor communication between those interested in science:

NEWS SECTION

Every day the Science Guide compiles medical and research news from
national news sources around the net.  Most of the news articles are
concerned with medicine, bioscience, and physics, but all other sciences
>From agriculture to zoology are commonly included. News sources currently
listed include: CNN, EurekAlert, HMS Beagle, MSNBC Sci-Tech, Science
Magazine's ScienceNow, CBS Space News, USA Today, The Albuquerque
Journal, Scientific American Web Weekly, The Why Files, Discover
Magazine, Scientific American, Smithsonian Magazine, and the Technology
Review.  The news pages also list links to news sources not compiled
within the News site.  We are currently working on adding a number of
other sources to the site to make it even more useful.

To make getting science news even easier, we send out a DAILY NEWS
EMAILER listing the articles which have been compiled on our site.
Anyone can subscribe to the Emailer by sending an email to
news at scienceguide.com with the message "Subscribe"

DIRECTORY OF USENET NEWS GROUPS and DISCUSSION LISTS

The Directory of Usenet and Discussion Groups is compiled quarterly from
different sources around the net to provide the scientist and those
interested in science easy access to these invaluable sources of
discourse and information.  We are currently working on finding the
proper subscription method for each of the discussion lists.  This is
taking a bit longer that we thought so please pardon our dust.  The
Usenet portions of this section are complete.

ON-LINE JOURNAL HYPERLINK SECTION

The Journals Section contains links to peer reviewed scientific journals
on the Internet.  Each listing clearly indicates whether the journal
provides only the table of contents, TOC with abstracts, or the full text
of the journal

EMPLOYMENT SECTION

The Jobs and Positions Section contains hyperlinks to the best Scientific
Employment Databases and Classifieds on the net.

GRANTS and FUNDING SECTION

The funding section contains links to the best funding and grant
databases on the Internet, making it very easy for scientists to quickly
find funding opportunities.  The featured site of the section is "The
Community of Science," a Johns Hopkins service designed to help
scientists find and continue funding.