Supercomputing Techniques: Parallel Processing on CRAY MPP Systems

Stephanie Dobler dobler at psc.edu
Tue Aug 12 12:47:38 EST 1997

Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
 Supercomputing Techniques: Parallel Processing on CRAY MPP Systems
                      September 29-October 2, 1997
              REGISTRATION DEADLINE:  September 15, 1997

 PURPOSE:

 The purpose of this three and a half day workshop is to introduce
 participants to parallel processing on the CRAY T3E and explore
 more advanced topics, including performance monitoring and
 optimization techniques.

 AGENDA:

 The first two days of this workshop have been designed to introduce
 participants to PSC's supercomputing environment, compiling, debugging,
 job submission, and parallel programming concepts. Participants will
 learn to write parallel code using message passing calls.

 The third and fourth days are designed to cover more advanced topics,
 including advanced parallel programming techniques, how to monitor
 code performance and optimization strategies. There will also be
 presentations on scientific applications which have been parallelized.

 To ensure that participants receive quality training, our workshops
 incorporate both lectures and extensive hands-on lab sessions.
 Programming exercises are carefully designed to reinforce concepts and
 techniques taught in class. Our instructors have strong scientific and
 technical backgrounds and are available for individual consultation
 during lab sessions.

 In addition to the lab exercises, lab time will also be available for
 participants to optimize their own code with the help and
 supervision of our instructors.  Participants are encouraged to bring
 their code, but not required.

 ==> A working knowledge of FORTRAN or C and UNIX are required.
 ==> Parallel computing experience is not necessary.

 REGISTRATION FEES:

Registration is $150 per person per day.

 HOUSING AND TRAVEL:

 Housing and travel are the responsibility of participants, but we will
 provide information on local hotels at your request. Group rates for
 local hotels are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

 REGISTRATION:

 To register for this workshop, please complete and return the
 registration form below by September 15, 1997 to:

 Workshop Application Committee
 ATTN: Kathi Burgard
 Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
 4400 Fifth Avenue
 Pittsburgh, PA  15213.

 You may also apply for this workshop by sending requested information
 via electronic mail to workshop at psc.edu or via fax to (412/268-5832).

 For additional online information, please visit the workshop's homepage
at
 http://www.psc.edu/training/Bettis_Sept_97/welcome.html

 If you have any questions, please contact
 Kathi Burgard, burgard at psc.edu or (412)268-5131.

 Name:

 Please circle one:      Ms.     Mr.     Dr.     Prof.

 Department:

 Univ/Ind/Gov Affiliation:

 Address:

 Telephone:  W (   )               H(   )

 Electronic Mail Address:

 Social Security Number:

 Citizenship:

 Are you a PSC user (yes/no)?
 If yes, please give your PSC username:

 Academic Standing (please check one):
   F - Faculty          UG - Undergraduate                  I
-Industrial
  PD - Postdoctorate    UR - University Research Staff
GV-Government
  GS - Graduate Student UN - University Non-Research Staff   O - Other

 Please explain why you are interested in attending this workshop and
what
 you hope to gain from it.

 NOTE: THE FOLLOWING TWO QUESTIONS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR THE
 APPLICATION TO RECEIVE CONSIDERATION.

 1. Briefly describe your computing background (scalar, vector, and
 parallel programming experience; platforms; languages):

 2. Briefly describe your research interests:

 Please indicate the workshop for which you are applying:

 All applicants will be notified of acceptance during the week of
 September 15.