BIOSCI Newsgroups Information - Americas & Pacific Rim

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at
Sun Jun 1 03:02:04 EST 1997

                       (last revised 13-MAY-97)

> IMPORTANT NOTE: As of 10-DEC-1995 one can participate in the BIOSCI
> newsgroups through the World Wide Web in addition to using the USENET
> and e-mail options described below.  The URL is
> After connecting to this site, click on the "Access the BIOSCI/bionet
> Newsgroups" hyperlink.  The old BIOSCI gopher site at
> has been closed.  This new WWW feature will also soon be available
> at the U.K. BIOSCI site.

This is the BIOSCI information sheet for the Americas and Pacific Rim
countries.  If you are located in Europe, Africa, or Central Asia,
please retrieve that version of the information sheet by sending the

info ukinfo

in the body of an e-mail message addressed to the Internet address

                       biosci-server at

Any text placed on the Subject: line of your message is ignored, so
please be sure to put the "info ukinfo" command in the main body of
your e-mail message.

New users of BIOSCI/bionet may want to read the "Frequently Asked
Questions" or "FAQ" sheet for BIOSCI.  The FAQ provides details on how
to participate in these forums and is available by gopher to or anonymous FTP to [] in
pub/BIOSCI/doc/biosci.FAQ.  It may also be requested by sending e-mail
to biosci-server at as described above except that the

info faq

should be used in the body of the mail message.  The FAQ is also
posted on the first of each month to the newsgroup
BIONEWS/bionet.announce immediately following the posting of both
versions of the BIOSCI information sheet.

Contents of this Document
List of BIOSCI Mailing Lists and Newsgroups
List of BIOSCI Newsgroup Topics
BIOSCI Newsgroup Discussion Leaders
Participating in BIOSCI Using USENET News Software
Participating in BIOSCI by E-mail
  E-mail Subscription Requests and other Information
  Finding Your Current E-mail Subscription List
  E-mail Address Changes
  Interruption of E-mail Service
  Posting Messages to Newsgroups by E-mail
Retrieval of old postings from the BIOSCI archives
BIOSCI "prototype" newsgroups
Retrieving Other BIOSCI Documentation

The BIOSCI newsgroup network was developed to allow easy worldwide
communications between biological scientists who work on a variety of
computer networks.  BIOSCI is supported by the Department of Energy
and the National Science Foundation in the U.S.A. and by the CCL
Daresbury Laboratory in the United Kingdom.  BIOSCI services are
available to users free of charge.

The U.S. BIOSCI node also gratefully acknowledges the sponsorship of
the organizations listed below.

     Molecular Dynamics, Inc., a leading producer of innovative
        instrumentation systems for the life sciences
     Knight-Ridder Information, Inc., a major provider of electronic
        information to business, research, and scientific professionals
     BIOSIS, publisher of Biological Abstracts and Zoological Record
     CLONTECH Laboratories, Inc., a leading manufacturer of
        innovative reagents and kits for the life sciences
     LI-COR, Inc., manufacturer of automated infrared DNA sequencing
        and genetic analysis systems.
     The Nest Group, Inc. a value-added distributor of HPLC columns, DNA
        kits, and electrophoresis gels for biomolecule separation.
     Sun Microsystems, Inc., a leading provider of solutions for
        open network computing environments.
     QIAGEN, a leading provider of innovative, user-friendly technologies
        for nucleic acid and protein purification.
     Research Diagnostics, Inc., distributor of fine immunochemical
     Boehringer Mannheim Biochemicals, A Worldwide Healthcare Company
        Serving the Needs of the Life Science Community.
     Quantum Biotechnologies, Inc., quantum leap to the 21st century
        with innovative molecular biology tools
     Turner Designs, Inc., the solution provider in research fluorometers
        and luminometers for over 20 years.

We encourage our readers to visit our World Wide Web home page at URL  Please thank our sponsors by visiting their Web
pages via the logos/hypertext links displayed on the BIOSCI Web site.
Use of these links by our readers enables us to keep current sponsors
and attract new sponsors so that we can continue to cover our
operational costs of providing BIOSCI services to our readership.  We
have provided this service to the biology community for over ten years
free of charge.  The first nine years were covered by government
funding.  We now rely on our readers and sponsors cooperation to
continue the service, so we appreciate your help.

If your organization is interested in sponsoring BIOSCI, please
contact us at biosci-help at

BIOSCI messages are distributed by two means: USENET news software and
electronic mail.

NEWS" SOFTWARE AT YOUR SITE.  The software is in the public domain,
and you will find it much more convenient than subscribing to
newsgroups by e-mail.  Please consult your systems manager (the
software may already be available on a machine at your institution) or
contact biosci-help at for a list of software available free
of charge on the Internet.  NOTE, however, that the installation and
maintenance of news software requires the assistance of a trained
systems operator in most cases and is not a task to be undertaken by a
computer novice.

Why is news software preferable to e-mail?  News software recovers
messages automatically after network interruptions, whereas your e-mail
address may have to be removed from the subscription list at times if
your computer/network malfunctions and undelivered mail starts
bouncing back to the BIOSCI administrative sites.  You will have to
manually retrieve lost messages from the archives if your e-mail
subscription is suspended.

News software organizes messages by topic and subtopic for easy
browsing.  In contrast if you subscribe by e-mail to more than one
discussion list, messages from multiple lists arrive into your
personal mail file in chronological order of posting only and are
mixed in with your personal messages.  You have to connect the
discussion threads yourself if you use e-mail.

In summary, e-mail participation should be seen as a LAST RESORT to be
used only if news software can not be installed locally.

Fortunately, BIOSCI offers advantages for e-mail users too.  By having
distribution sites or "nodes" on each major network, BIOSCI allows its
e-mail users to contact people around the world without having to
learn a variety of computer addressing tricks.  Any user can simply
post a message to his/her regional BIOSCI node and copies of that
message will be distributed automatically to all other subscribers on
all of the participating networks, including the Internet, USENET,

List of BIOSCI Mailing Lists and Newsgroups
BIOSCI messages are distributed on the newsgroups in the "bionet"
hierarchy of USENET and on the corresponding mailing lists indicated
below.  Contents of the USENET newsgroups and the e-mail distributions
are *identical*, i.e., messages sent in by e-mail are also forwarded
to USENET and messages posted to USENET newsgroups are also
distributed to e-mail subscribers.

An expanded description of the purpose of each newsgroup follows this

MAILING LIST NAME          USENET Newsgroup Name
-----------------          ---------------------
AFCR **
AGEING                     bionet.molbio.ageing
AGROFORESTRY               bionet.agroforestry
AIBS **
AMYLOID **                 bionet.neuroscience.amyloid
ARABIDOPSIS **             bionet.genome.arabidopsis
ASCB **
AUDIOLOGY                  bionet.audiology
AUTOMATED-SEQUENCING **    bionet.genome.autosequencing
BIOCAN **
BIOFILMS                   bionet.microbiology.biofilms
BIOFORUM                   bionet.general
BIONAUTS                   bionet.users.addresses
BIONEWS **                 bionet.announce
BIO-JOURNALS **            bionet.journals.contents
BIOPHYSICS                 bionet.biophysics
BIOTECHNIQUES **           bionet.journals.letters.biotechniques
BIOTHERMOKINETICS          bionet.metabolic-reg
BIO-WWW **
CARDIOVASCULAR-RESEARCH    bionet.biology.cardiovascular
CELEGANS                   bionet.celegans
CELL-BIOLOGY               bionet.cellbiol
CHLAMYDOMONAS **           bionet.chlamydomonas
CHROMOSOMES                bionet.genome.chromosomes
COMPUTATIONAL-BIOLOGY **   bionet.biology.computational
CSM **
CYTONET                    bionet.cellbiol.cytonet
DEEPSEA **                 bionet.biology.deepsea
DIAGNOSTICS **             bionet.diagnostics
DROSOPHILA                 bionet.drosophila
ECOPHYSIOLOGY **           bionet.ecology.physiology
EMBL-DATABANK              bionet.molbio.embldatabank
EMF-BIO **                 bionet.emf-bio
FASEB **
FLUORESCENT-PROTEINS       bionet.molbio.proteins.fluorescent
G-PROTEIN-COUPLED-RECEPTOR bionet.molbio.proteins.7tms_r
GDB                        bionet.molbio.gdb
GENBANK-BB                 bionet.molbio.genbank
GENETIC-LINKAGE            bionet.molbio.gene-linkage
GENSTRUCTURE **            bionet.genome.gene-structure
GLYCOSCI                   bionet.glycosci
GRASSES-SCIENCE            bionet.biology.grasses
HUMAN-GENOME-PROGRAM **    bionet.molbio.genome-program
IMMUNOLOGY                 bionet.immunology
INSULIN-ACTION **          bionet.cellbiol.insulin
JOURNAL-NOTES              bionet.journals.note
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS       bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
MICROBIOLOGY               bionet.microbiology
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION        bionet.molbio.evolution
MOLECULAR-MODELLING        bionet.molec-model
MOLECULAR-REPERTOIRES **   bionet.molecules.repertoires
MOLLUSC-MOLECULAR-NEWS **  bionet.molbio.molluscs
MYCOLOGY                   bionet.mycology
NAVBO **
NEUROSCIENCE               bionet.neuroscience
N2-FIXATION                bionet.biology.n2-fixation
P450                       bionet.molecules.p450
PARASITOLOGY               bionet.parasitology
PEPTIDES **                bionet.molecules.peptides
PHOTOSYNTHESIS **          bionet.photosynthesis
PLANT-BIOLOGY              bionet.plants
PLANT-SIGNAL-TRANSDUCTION ** bionet.plants.signaltransduc
POPULATION-BIOLOGY         bionet.population-bio
PRENATAL-DIAGNOSTICS       bionet.diagnostics.prenatal
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS           bionet.molbio.proteins
PROTEIN-CRYSTALLOGRAPHY    bionet.xtallography
PROTISTA                   bionet.protista
PSEUDOMONADS               bionet.organisms.pseudomonas
RAPD                       bionet.molbio.rapd
RECOMBINATION              bionet.molbio.recombination
SCHISTOSOMA **             bionet.organisms.schistosoma
SCIENCE-RESOURCES **       bionet.sci-resources
STRUCTURAL-NMR             bionet.structural-nmr
SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH **      bionet.biology.symbiosis
TIBS **                    bionet.journals.letters.tibs
TOXICOLOGY                 bionet.toxicology
TROPICAL-BIOLOGY           bionet.biology.tropical
URODELES **                bionet.organisms.urodeles
VECTOR-BIOLOGY **          bionet.biology.vectors
VIROLOGY **                bionet.virology
WOMEN-IN-BIOLOGY           bionet.women-in-bio
YEAST                      bionet.molbio.yeast
ZBRAFISH                   bionet.organisms.zebrafish

** Note that newsgroups flagged with ** are moderated, i.e., postings
are directed to a moderator (editor) who later forwards messages
(possibly edited or condensed) to the newsgroup.

List of BIOSCI Newsgroup Topics

-----------------            -----
ACEDB-SOFT                   Discussions by users and developers of genome
                                databases using the ACEDB software.
AFCR **                      American Federation for Clinical Research
AGEING                       Discussions about ageing research
AGROFORESTRY                 Discussions about agroforestry research
AIBS **                      American Institute of Biological Sciences
AMYLOID **                   Forum for researchers on Alzheimer's
                                disease and related disorders
                                including prion diseases
ARABIDOPSIS **               Newsgroup for the Arabidopsis Genome Project
ASCB **                      Announcements from The American Society
                                for Cell Biology
AUDIOLOGY                    Topics in audiology and hearing science
BIOFILMS                     Research on microbial biofilms
BIOFORUM                     Discussions about biological topics for
                                which there is not yet a dedicated newsgroup
AUTOMATED-SEQUENCING **      Research and support on automated DNA sequencing
BIOCAN **                    Newsgroup for the Canadian Federation of
                                Biological Societies (CFBS)
  THEORY-AND-CHOWDER-SOCIETY Applications of information theory to
                                biology; this group is not for general
                                information or for discussion of
                                theories in general.
BIONAUTS                     Question/answer forum for help using
                                electronic networks, locating e-mail
                                addresses, etc.
BIONEWS **                   General announcements of widespread
                                interest to biologists
BIO-JOURNALS **              Tables of Contents of biological journals
BIO-MATRIX                   Applications of computers to biological databases
BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY **       Official announcements/information from the
                                Biophysical Society.
BIOPHYSICS                   Discussion of issues related to the
                                science and profession of biophysics
BIO-SOFTWARE                 Information on software for the biological
BIO-SRS                      Discussions about the Sequence Retrieval
                                System (SRS) software
BIOTECHNIQUES **             Discussions of articles in the journal
BIOTHERMOKINETICS            Discussions about the kinetics, thermodynamics
                                and control of biological processes at
                                the cellular level
BIO-WWW **                   Announcements about new information
                                resources in biology which can be
                                accessed via electronic networked
                                information retrieval software
CARDIOVASCULAR-RESEARCH      Research discussions in cardiovascular biology
CELEGANS                     Research discussions on the model organism
                                Caenorhabditis elegans and related nematodes
CELL-BIOLOGY                 Discussions about cell biology including
                                cancer research at the cellular level
CHLAMYDOMONAS **             Discussions about the biology of the green alga
                                Chlamydomonas and related genera
CHROMOSOMES                  Discussions about mapping and sequencing
                                of eucaryote chromosomes
COMPUTATIONAL-BIOLOGY **     Mathematical and computer applications in biology
CSM **                       Announcements from the Canadian Society
                                of Microbiologists.
CYTONET                      Discussions about research on the
                                cytoskeleton, plasma membrane, and
                                cell wall
DEEPSEA **                   Research in deep-sea marine biology,
                                oceanography, and geology
DIAGNOSTICS **               Discussions of problems and techniques in
                                all fields of diagnostics
DROSOPHILA                   Discussions about biological research on
ECOPHYSIOLOGY **             Research and education in physiological ecology
EMBL-DATABANK                Messages to and from the EMBL database staff
EMF-BIO **                   Discussions about research on
                                electromagnetic field interactions
                                with biological systems
EMPLOYMENT **                Job opportunities in biology
EMPLOYMENT-WANTED            Forum for posting resumes/CVs by
                             individuals seeking employment in the
                             biological sciences or in support of the
                             biological sciences
FASEB **                     Announcements from the Federation of American
                               Societies for Experimental Biology
FLUORESCENT-PROTEINS         Research on fluorescent proteins and
FREE-RADICALS **             Research on free radicals in biology and
G-PROTEIN-COUPLED-RECEPTOR   Discussions about signal transducing
                               receptors which interact with G-proteins
GDB                          Messages to and from the Genome Data Bank staff
GENBANK-BB                   Messages to and from the GenBank database staff
GENETIC-LINKAGE              Newsgroup for genetic linkage analysis
GENSTRUCTURE **              Genome and chromatin structure and function
GLYCOSCI                     Discussions about carbohydrate and
                               glycoconjugate molecules.
GRASSES-SCIENCE              Discussions regarding grasses, especially
                               cereal, forage, and turf species
HIV-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY        Discussions about the molecular biology of HIV
HUMAN-GENOME-PROGRAM **      NIH-sponsored newsgroup on human genome issues
IMMUNOLOGY                   Discussions about research in immunology
INFO-GCG                     Discussions about the GCG sequence
                               analysis software
INSULIN-ACTION **            Discussions about the biology and
                               chemistry of insulin and related
JOURNAL-NOTES                Practical advice on dealing with professional
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS         Requests for information and lab reagents
MICROBIOLOGY                 Discussions about research in microbiology
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION          Discussions about research in molecular evolution
MOLECULAR-MODELLING          Discussions about molecular modelling
MOLECULAR-REPERTOIRES **     Generation and use of libraries of molecules
MOLLUSC-MOLECULAR-NEWS **    Discussions about research on mollusc DNA
MYCOLOGY                     Discussions about research on filamentous fungi
NAVBO **                     Forum for the North American Vascular
                               Biology Organization
NEUROSCIENCE                 Discussions about research in the neurosciences
N2-FIXATION                  Discussion about biological nitrogen fixation
P450                         Research on cytochrome P450
PARASITOLOGY                 Discussions about research in parasitology
PEPTIDES **                  Research involving peptides
PHOTOSYNTHESIS **            Discussions about photosynthesis research
PLANT-BIOLOGY                Discussions about research in plant biology
PLANT-EDUCATION              Education issues in plant biology
PLANT-SIGNAL-TRANSDUCTION ** Research on plant signal transduction
POPULATION-BIOLOGY           Discussions about research in population biology
PRENATAL-DIAGNOSTICS         Discussions about research in prenatal
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS             Discussions about research on proteins and
                                messages for the PIR and SWISS-PROT databank
PROTEIN-CRYSTALLOGRAPHY      Discussion about crystallography of macromolecules
                                and messages for the PDB staff
PROTISTA                     Discussions about research on ciliates
                                and other protists
PSEUDOMONADS                 Research on the genus Pseudomonas
RAPD                         Discussions about Randomly Amplified Polymorphic
RECOMBINATION                Research on the recombination of DNA or RNA
SCHISTOSOMA **               Discussions about Schistosoma research
SCIENCE-RESOURCES **         Information from/about scientific funding
STADEN                       Discussions between scientists using the
                                Staden molecular sequence analysis software
STRUCTURAL-NMR               Discussions about the use of NMR for
                                macromolecular structure determination
SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH **        Discussions about symbiosis research
TIBS **                      "Letters to the Editor" of "Trends in
                                Biochemical Sciences"
TOXICOLOGY                   Discussions about research in toxicology
TROPICAL-BIOLOGY             Discussions about research in tropical biology
URODELES **                  Discussions about research in urodele
                                amphibian biology
VECTOR-BIOLOGY **            Research and control of arthropods which
                                transmit disease
VIROLOGY **                  Discussions about research in virology
WOMEN-IN-BIOLOGY             Discussions about issues concerning women
X-PLOR                       Discussions about the X-PLOR software for
                                3D macromolecular structure determination
YEAST                        Discussions about the molecular biology
                                and genetics of yeast
ZBRAFISH                     Discussions about research using the model
                                organism Zebrafish (Danio rerio)

** Note that newsgroups flagged with ** are moderated, i.e., postings
are directed to a moderator (editor) who later forwards messages
(possibly edited or condensed) to the newsgroup.

BIOSCI Newsgroup Discussion Leaders

Most scientific specialty newsgroups (except for a few created several
years ago) have individuals who are responsible for stimulating
discussion on the newsgroup.  General purpose forums such as
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS do not have discussion leaders.  If a group that
you are interested in does not seem to have much activity recently,
please contact the discussion leader and ask why.

NEWSGROUP NAME               Discussion Leader and their e-mail address
--------------               ------------------------------------------
ACEDB-SOFT                   Mike Cherry (cherry at
AFCR **                      Jon T. Schafer (pp001101 at
AGEING                       Sydney Shall (bafa1 at
AGROFORESTRY                 Gerry Lawson (gjl at
AIBS **                      Rebecca Chasan (moderator at
AMYLOID **                   David Small (david_small at
ARABIDOPSIS **               Charles Gasser Lab (atmod at
ASCB **                      Vincent Shan (moderator at
AUDIOLOGY                    Jeff Sirianni (sirianni at and
                             Susan Moreland (smorelan at
AUTOMATED-SEQUENCING **      David Cain (dcain at and
                             Robert Feakes (rwf at
BIOCAN **                    Neil Haave (biocan at
BIOFILMS                     Claus Sternberg (cs at
BIOFORUM                     None
  THEORY-AND-CHOWDER-SOCIETY Tom Schneider (toms at
BIONAUTS                     Rob Harper (harper at
BIONEWS **                   David Kristofferson (biosci-help at
BIO-JOURNALS **              Julie Lawrence (biosci-help at
BIO-MATRIX                   Dan Davison (davison at
BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY **       Carol Gross (cgross at
BIOPHYSICS                   Carol Gross (cgross at
BIO-SOFTWARE                 None
BIO-SRS                      Thure Etzold (etzold at and
                             Reinhard Doelz (doelz at
BIOTECHNIQUES **             Mary McCarthy (mmccarthy at
BIOTHERMOKINETICS            John Woods (eanv20 at
BIO-WWW **                   Nicole Redaschi (redaschi at
CARDIOVASCULAR-RESEARCH      Zhandong Zhou (zhandong at
CELEGANS                     William Morgan (wmorgan at
CELL-BIOLOGY                 Ola Myklebost (ola.myklebost at
CHLAMYDOMONAS **             Elizabeth H. Harris (chlamy at
CHROMOSOMES                  Bruce Roe (broe at and
                             Greg Lennon (greg at
COMPUTATIONAL-BIOLOGY **     David Kristofferson (biosci-help at
CSM **                       John Nash (csm at
CYTONET                      Nicholas C. Carpita (carpita at
DEEPSEA **                   Andrew Grant McArthur (mcarthur at
DIAGNOSTICS **               Kevin O'Donnell (odonnell at and
                             Robert Burns (burns at
DROSOPHILA                   Michael Ashburner (m.ashburner at
ECOPHYSIOLOGY **             Martyn M. Caldwell (mmc at
EMBL-DATABANK                None (datalib at
EMF-BIO **                   Allan H. Frey (afrey at
EMPLOYMENT **                David Kristofferson (biosci-help at
FASEB **                     Vincent Shan (moderator at
FLUORESCENT-PROTEINS         Paul Kitts (paulki at
                             Steve Kain (stevek at
FREE-RADICALS **             Javier J. Zulueta (javier.zulueta at and
                             Kevin Clancy PhD (clancy at and
                             Neil Hogg PhD (nhogg at
                             (kolakowski at
GDB                          Kerryn Brandt (kab at
GENBANK-BB                   Dennis Benson (benson at
GENETIC-LINKAGE              Steve Bryant (s_bryant at
GENSTRUCTURE **              Graham Dellaire (dellaire at
GLYCOSCI                     Iain Wilson (iwilson at and
                             Barry Hardy (bhardy at
GRASSES-SCIENCE              Allen Wright (adwright at
HIV-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY        Mika Salminen (msalminen at
HUMAN-GENOME-PROGRAM **      Betty Mansfield (k76 at
IMMUNOLOGY                   Donald Forsdyke (forsdyke at
INFO-GCG                     John Cargill (ontogen at
INSULIN-ACTION **            T. S. Pillay (tpillay at
JOURNAL-NOTES                Donald Forsdyke (forsdyke at
MICROBIOLOGY                 Martin Latterich (Martin_Latterich at
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION          Dan Davison (davison at
MOLECULAR-MODELLING          Philippe Stas (philstas at
MOLECULAR-REPERTOIRES **     Andrew Wallace (a.wallace at
MOLLUSC-MOLECULAR-NEWS **    Elizabeth Grace Boulding (boulding at
MYCOLOGY                     Tom Adams (tom at
                             Leland Ellis (leland at
                             Greg May (gsmay at
NAVBO **                     Valeri Kolpakov (kolpakov at
                             Steve Schwartz (steves at
                             D. Gordon (David.Gordon at
NEUROSCIENCE                 Vincent A Mazzarella (vamg6792 at
                             James L. Olds (olds at
N2-FIXATION                  Eng-Leong Foo
                             (eng-leong_foo_mircen-ki%micforum at
P450                         Dr. A. Zimmerlin (Alfred.zimmerlin at
PARASITOLOGY                 Daniel R. Brooks, Sherwin S. Desser and
                             Henry Hong (parasite at
PEPTIDES **                  Michael Breslav
                             (mbreslav at and
                             Christopher Gross (cmgross at
                             and Terry Mulcahy (tmulcahy at
PHOTOSYNTHESIS **            Larry Orr (larry.orr at
PLANT-BIOLOGY                Tony Travis (ajt at
PLANT-EDUCATION              Jonathan D. Monroe (monroejd at and
                             Susan R. Singer (ssinger at
PLANT-SIGNAL-TRANSDUCTION ** Bratislav Stankovic (stankovic.1 at
PRENATAL-DIAGNOSTICS         Aneal Chandra (chandra at and
                             David Miller (davidm at and
                             Tim Reynolds (timreyno at
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS             Amos Bairoch (bairoch at and
                             John Garavelli (garavelli at
PROTEIN-CRYSTALLOGRAPHY      Morten Kjeldgaard (morten at
PROTISTA                     Marsha Altschule
                             (marsha.i.altschuler at and
                             Mark Farmer (farmer at
PSEUDOMONADS                 Bruce W. Ritchings (bwr at
RAPD                         James Farmer (jlfarmer at
RECOMBINATION                Graham Dellaire (popa0206 at and
                             George Szatmari (szat at and
                             Terry Chow (MDTY at and
                             Dana Lasko (CZDL at
SCHISTOSOMA **               Christoph Grevelding
                             (Christoph.Grevelding at
SCIENCE-RESOURCES **         Julie Lawrence (biosci-help at and
                             David Kristofferson (biosci-help at
STADEN                       Tim Littlejohn (tim at
STRUCTURAL-NMR               C. S. Raman (raman at
SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH **        James F. White, Jr. (jwhite at
TIBS **                      Jo McEntyre (TIBS at and
                             David Kristofferson (biosci-help at
TOXICOLOGY                   Charles A. Miller (rellim at
TROPICAL-BIOLOGY             Matti Nummelin (mnummelin at
URODELES **                  Susan Duhon (duhon at and
                             Anthony Mescher (mescher at
VECTOR-BIOLOGY **            Dennis Knudson (dknudson at and
                             Martin Ferguson (martinf at
VIROLOGY **                  Marnix L. Bosch (marnix at and
                             Brett Lindenbach (bdl at and
                             Thomas Pfitzner (sttpfi at
WOMEN-IN-BIOLOGY             Cassandra Smith (cls at
X-PLOR                       Axel T. Brunger (brunger at
YEAST                        Francis Ouellette (francis at
ZBRAFISH                     Richard Vogt (vogt at and
                             Una Smith (smith-una at

** Note that newsgroups flagged with ** are moderated.

Participating in BIOSCI Using USENET News Software
Users who have access to USENET news software and the bionet USENET
groups can participate immediately, i.e., they do not need to
"subscribe" to anything.  They can read and reply to messages using
their local news software (e.g., "nn" or "rn") and post new messages
of their own.

Users will have to consult their local systems managers for help in
using news software.  There are many different programs available and
the BIOSCI staff can not provide training in news software use.
Fortunately, most news software is fairly simple to use and can be
learned quickly.

When posting new messages, USENET users should be sure to set the
message "distribution" to "world" or else your message may
not be distributed beyond your local computer.  In most cases,
messages are posted directly to the newsgroups without editorial
intervention.  Some groups (indicated in the lists above) are
"moderated," however.  This means that postings to these newsgroups
will be sent to the newsgroup moderator who will decide whether or not
the message is suitable for posting to the newsgroup in question.

Participating in BIOSCI by E-mail
E-MAIL SUBSCRIPTION!!  Simply read and post to the newsgroups in the
"bionet" newsgroup hierarchy using your USENET news software.

E-mail Subscription Requests and other Information
For users in the Americas and Pacific Rim countries, e-mail
subscription and cancellation requests are handled automatically by an
e-mail server, although personal assistance is also available via the
biosci-help at address.  Once your e-mail address is added to a
subscription list, mail will be sent to your address automatically
each time someone posts a message.  This will continue until you
remove your address from the subscription list.

You should first send the

command to the address

biosci-server at

to obtain a listing of all current BIOSCI mailing lists.  You may
leave your message Subject: line blank in any message that is sent to
the server (text on the Subject: line is *not* processed).  Please
place all commands only in the body of your mail message.

Please be sure to substitute the appropriate mailing list name
obtained from the "lists" command output for "listname" in the
subscribe or unsubscribe commands illustrated below.  The "listname"
in subscription commands is always the <= 8 character mailing address
for the mailing list (see also the table of mailing addresses further
below).  For example, the mailing address for the METHODS-AND-REAGENTS
mailing list is methods at  To determine the "listname" to
use with the "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" commands, take the portion
of the address to the left of the @ sign, in this case "methods" is
the listname derived from "methods at".

After obtaining the names of the mailing lists using the "lists"
command or by consulting the mailing address table further below, use the

subscribe listname

unsubscribe listname

commands to add or delete your address from the mailing lists.  Please
substitute "listname" above with the appropriate name of the list that
you want to join/cancel.  If you are trying to unsubscribe from a list
but your address has changed, please see the instructions below in the
section entitle "E-mail Address Changes."  This section assumes that
you are always operating from the same e-mail address.

!!! PLEASE BE SURE to send all subscribe or unsubscribe commands only to
!!! the biosci-server at address and not to the newsgroup posting
!!! addresses where they will bother all of the readers!

Your e-mail address is obtained automatically from the header of your
mail message and should NOT be included on the subscribe/unsubscribe
command line unless you need to sign up at a different address than
the one you are currently using.  Such requests must be handled
manually by us and create extra work.  (Also you would be surprised at
how many people list their e-mail addresses incorrectly which then
results in nondelivery of mail, so please let our server obtain this
information automatically from your mail header.)

Multiple commands may be placed on separate lines in the same mail
message, i.e., you can include all of your subscribe and/or
unsubscribe requests in one mail message as long as each is on a
separate line.  If you put multiple commands in your mail message,
please put an

command as the last in your list of commands.  This helps avoid
sending to the server any signatures that might be automatically
included in your mail messages.

Here is a sample subscription message.  The address public at
would be automatically added to the BIONEWS and GRASSES-SCIENCE
mailing lists as the result of this message.  Note that the listname
for GRASSES-SCIENCE is "grasses" as derived from the address portion
to the left of the @ sign in the mailing address for GRASSES-SCIENCE
(see address table further below).

    To: biosci-server at
    From: J.Q. Public <public at>

    subscribe bionews
    subscribe grasses

Other command details are included in the mail server help file from
biosci-server at  To get the server help file
(in computerese 8-), send in the

command to the server address.

Finding Your Current E-mail Subscription List
If you are already a BIOSCI e-mail subscriber and need to determine
which mailing lists you are on currently, send the command

to biosci-server at if you are signed up under the address
that appears on the From: line of your mail message.  If your address
has changed, you can put a search string after the "which" command,
e.g., if you are certain than your user name has always been jqpublic
but do not remember the computer hostname, send the command

which jqpublic

This will find all instances of the text "jqpublic" on all mailing

E-mail Address Changes
If you have subscribed to a newsgroup and are now leaving an
institution or changing your e-mail address, it is imperative that you
cancel your subscription!  Non-existent addresses or overflowing
mailboxes cause computer mail programs to send back "daemon" messages
which might bother everybody on the newsgroup.  In addition, mail
systems continue for several days to try to contact bad addresses.
This wastes CPU resources and slows mail delivery to others.  We will
eventually remove any address causing such a problem, but would prefer
it if you would take care of changes in advance as a courtesy to the
rest of the user community.

To unsubscribe from the BIOSCI lists at, you will have to
send mail from the e-mail account which has the same address as the
one on our mailing lists.  The server software only allows automatic
cancellation of subscriptions if the e-mail address on your From: line
of your "unsubscribe" message matches exactly the addresses on our
lists (except for case differences).  If the match is not exact, the
server will send you an error message saying you are not on the lists.

You can determine which mailing lists you are on by sending one of the
two following commands to the server address
biosci-server at  Please be sure to put all commands in the
*body* of the mail message as any text put on the Subject: line is
ignored by the server.

(the which command finds exact matches to your From: address) OR

which xxx

where xxx is any text, i.e., part or all of an e-mail address.  The
"which" command by itself will only find addresses on our list which
match exactly (except for possible case differences) the address on
the From: line of your mail message.  If you are looking for an old
address you will need to use the "which xxx" command.  As an example
of the "which" command output using the string "kristoff at bionet"

which kristoff at bionet

The string 'kristoff at bionet' appears in the following
entries in lists served by biosci-server at

List                    Address
====                    =======
faseb                   kristoff at
tibs                    kristoff at

The List names appear in the left hand column of the output.  Please
note your list names for use in the "unsubscribe" commands described

If your address on our lists differs from your current address, you
will not be able to unsubscribe automatically, so please forward the
output of the "which xxx" command to biosci-help at and ask
to have the old address removed manually.

If your address is still the same as the one on our lists, you can
cancel your subscriptions automatically by sending in a message to
biosci-server at such as the following

unsubscribe bionews
unsubscribe molmodel
unsubscribe bioforum

where you have used the listnames as determined from the "which"
command output after the "unsubscribe" command.  Once again, if
"which" does not return any output to you unless you follow it by a
text string, e.g., which xxx, you will *not* be able to unsubscribe
automatically.  Please follow the alternative instructions for manual
address removal above.

Interruption of E-mail Service
It is our policy to remove any address from our mailing lists which
becomes inaccessible and causes mail to bounce back to the sender.
This might happen to you if your local computer or network fails for a
significant period of time.  If you notice that you are no longer
receiving BIOSCI postings, it may be because your address was removed
for the above reason.  It will be necessary for you to contact
biosci-help at and resubscribe.  Please see the BIOSCI FAQ,
mentioned at the beginning of this document, for more details on how
BIOSCI handles addresses which reject mail.

Posting Messages to Newsgroups by E-mail
Those who use e-mail to post messages should send their mail to the
following Internet addresses in the USA:

                      biosci-server at

for subscription or cancellation requests as explained above.  Your
posting could go to several thousand people.  Supposing that each
person spends a couple of seconds to figure out that you did this,
before they go on to the next message.  You will have wasted the
equivalent of several hours of one person's time, not to mention
wasted computer time and disk storage.

MAILING LIST NAME           Mailing Address
-----------------           ----------------
ACEDB-SOFT                  acedb at
AFCR **                     afcr at
AGEING                      ageing at
AGROFORESTRY                ag-forst at
AIBS **                     aibslist at
AMYLOID **                  amyloid at
ARABIDOPSIS **              arab-gen at
ASCB **                     ascb at
AUDIOLOGY                   audiolog at
AUTOMATED-SEQUENCING **     autoseq at
BIOCAN **                   biocan at
BIOFORUM                    bioforum at
BIONAUTS                    bio-naut at
BIONEWS **                  bionews at
BIO-JOURNALS **             bio-jrnl at
BIO-MATRIX                  biomatrx at
BIOPHYSICAL-SOCIETY **      bphyssoc at
BIOPHYSICS                  biophys at
BIO-SOFTWARE                bio-soft at
BIO-SRS                     bio-srs at
BIOTECHNIQUES **            btechniq at
BIOTHERMOKINETICS           btk-mca at
BIO-WWW **                  bio-www at
CELEGANS                    celegans at
CELL-BIOLOGY                cellbiol at
CHLAMYDOMONAS **            chlamy at
CHROMOSOMES                 biochrom at
CSM **                      csm at
CYTONET                     cytonet at
DEEPSEA **                  deepsea at
DIAGNOSTICS **              diagnost at
DROSOPHILA                  dros at
ECOPHYSIOLOGY **            ecophys at
EMBL-DATABANK               embl-db at
EMF-BIO **                  emf-bio at
EMPLOYMENT **               biojobs at
EMPLOYMENT-WANTED           wantjob at
FASEB **                    faseb at
FLUORESCENT-PROTEINS        fluorpro at
FREE-RADICALS **            freerad at
GDB                         gdb at
GENBANK-BB                  genbankb at
GENETIC-LINKAGE             gen-link at
GENSTRUCTURE **             genstruc at
GLYCOSCI                    glycosci at
GRASSES-SCIENCE             grasses at
HIV-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY       hiv-biol at
HUMAN-GENOME-PROGRAM **     gnome-pr at
IMMUNOLOGY                  immuno at
INFO-GCG                    info-gcg at
INSULIN-ACTION **           insulin at
JOURNAL-NOTES               jrnlnote at
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS        methods at
MICROBIOLOGY                microbio at
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION         mol-evol at
MOLECULAR-MODELLING         molmodel at
MYCOLOGY                    mycology at
NAVBO **                    navbo at
NEUROSCIENCE                neur-sci at
N2-FIXATION                 n2fix at
PARASITOLOGY                parasite at
PEPTIDES **                 peptides at
PHOTOSYNTHESIS **           photosyn at
PLANT-BIOLOGY               plantbio at
PLANT-EDUCATION             plant-ed at
POPULATION-BIOLOGY          pop-bio at
PRENATAL-DIAGNOSTICS        prenatal at
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS            proteins at
PROTISTA                    protista at
PSEUDOMONADS                pseudomo at
RAPD                        rapd at
RECOMBINATION               recom at
SCHISTOSOMA **              schisto at
SCIENCE-RESOURCES **        sci-res at
STADEN                      staden at
STRUCTURAL-NMR              str-nmr at
SYMBIOSIS-RESEARCH **       symbios at
TIBS **                     tibs at
TOXICOLOGY                  toxicol at
TROPICAL-BIOLOGY            trop-bio at
URODELES **                 urodeles at
VECTOR-BIOLOGY **           vect-bio at
VIROLOGY **                 virology at
WOMEN-IN-BIOLOGY            womenbio at
X-PLOR                      x-plor at
YEAST                       yeast at
ZBRAFISH                    zbrafish at

** Note that newsgroups flagged with ** are moderated, i.e., postings
are directed to a moderator (editor) who later forwards messages
(possibly edited or condensed) to the newsgroup.

Retrieval of old postings from the BIOSCI archives
All BIOSCI newsgroups are archived on the World Wide Web at URL  Users who have only e-mail access to the Internet
can retrieve messages from our waismail e-mail server.  For waismail
instructions, send the word

in a message to waismail at  Please leave the Subject: line
of your message blank.

BIOSCI "prototype" newsgroups
To assist areas of research in developing their own electronic
communication forums, BIOSCI at will set up, on request, a
mailing list *without* an associated USENET newsgroup.  The mailing
list is created only at, the U.S. BIOSCI node, and all
subscription requests must be sent to the e-mail server at
biosci-server at regardless of one's geographical location.
There is no charge for this or any other BIOSCI service, as usual.

This procedure waives the rule that requires each new newsgroup
proposal to be put to a vote of the readership first (see the BIOSCI
FAQ, mentioned at the beginning of this document, for details on
creating new full-fledged newsgroups and prototype newsgroups).  Each
mailing list ("prototype newsgroup") must have a scientist volunteer
to serve as its discussion leader and an initial list of e-mail
subscribers.  The prototype newsgroup has six months to build up its
readership after which time it is put out for a vote for full
newsgroup status (i.e., to have both a mailing list *and* parallel
USENET newsgroup created at both BIOSCI nodes in the U.S. and U.K.).
If you are interested in establishing such a forum for your research
specialty, please contact biosci-help at

The current prototype newsgroups are listed below.  Please send
subscription requests to biosci-server at and NOT to the
newsgroup posting addresses.  Prototype newsgroups may *not* be fully
archived, so please be sure to save any messages that you may want to
refer to again.

Posting Address         Purpose
---------------         -------
annelida at    Discussions of the scientific study of Phylum Annelida
bigblue at     Discussions between researchers who use
                          transgenic animal systems for mutation assays.
bioherv at     Discussions about human endogenous retroviral elements.
maize at       Research on maize.
mutation at    Discussions about mutation research.
phbiotec at    Discussions about research in pharmaceutical
radoncjc at    Radiation Oncology journal club (moderated list)
rna at         Discussions about RNA editing, RNA splicing,
                          and ribozyme activities of RNA.
rust-mil at    Research about the biotrophic foliar fungal
                          diseases of cereals, including rusts,
                          powdery mildews and downy mildews.
yac at         Discussions about yeast artificial chromosomes.

Retrieving Other BIOSCI Documentation
BIOSCI documents are kept in the anonymous FTP area on
[] in the directory pub/BIOSCI/doc and can be retrieved
either via FTP or by gopher to or on the WWW to URL  Documents can also be retrieved by addressing
e-mail to the Internet address biosci-server at and including
any of the commands below in the body of your mail message.  Text
placed on the Subject: line of your message is ignored, so please be
sure that the commands are in the body of the mail message.  Although
multiple commands may be placed in one message, we recommend instead
that one message be sent per command to avoid having to extract
multiple documents from a single message.  The server sends back all
information requested from a multiple command query in a single
response message.

Document to Retrieve            Command to send to biosci-server at
--------------------            --------------------------------------------
BIOSCI FAQ                      info faq
(Frequently Asked ?'s
 about using BIOSCI)

BIOSCI info sheet for the
Americas & Pacific Rim          info usinfo

BIOSCI info sheet for
Europe, Africa, &
Central Asia                    info ukinfo

Information on Network
Connections                     info internet

How to set up USENET News
at your site                    info usenet1

USENET Netiquette and other
edifying reading                info usenet2

FURTHER QUESTIONS???  Please address them to biosci-help at