Bimini Shark Course with Dr. Gruber

vwatt vance at wattcom.com
Sun Mar 23 19:08:39 EST 1997

------------6C3322D1221C5

 HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO ENCOUNTER SEVERAL SPECIES OF
    LARGE SHARKS INCLUDING TIGERS, LEMONS AND GREAT
             HAMMERHEADS IN THEIR ENVIRONMENT!

         Naturalist Field Course In The Biology Of Sharks: April 17-23,
1997

In conjunction with the American Littoral Society, the Bimini Biological
Field Station is offering a
non-technical course in the general biology of sharks. We have scheduled
the course for April 17-24, 1996.
The course will feature illustrated lectures, frequent field trips,
video presentations and personal encounters
with several species of active, free-swimming sharks. The entire course
will be held at the Bimini Biological
Field Station an isolated, private facility on the island of South
Bimini, Bahamas, 52 miles directly east of
Miami, Florida.

The station is a small wood frame structure on it's own tiny cove.
Living conditions are close: Four persons
sleep in each room on a pair of bunk beds. We provide bedding and
linens. Meals are prepared in a small
kitchen and there are two bathrooms to serve the entire group. The
Station is air conditioned and electric
power is reliable.

TUITION: Tuition for the course is $800.00 which is all inclusive. Round
trip airfare from Fort Lauderdale to
Bimini, all taxes, tips and transfers is $190.00. The total of tuition
and airfare id $990.00. The course is open to a
maximum of 12 students and and AS OF TODAY, 2/13/97, THERE ARE 5 PLACES
OPEN. A $250
non-refundable down. Payment is required on or before April 1,1997 to
reserve your place Our challenge is to
provide a safe, comfortable and unique experience for you under less
than ideal conditions in a third world
country. To do this we will need to know something abut you and we need
to tell you a bit more about what
to expect from us. Thus, we have prepared a questionnaire/fact sheet for
you to fill in. If you decide to join us
I can email or send you a hard copy.

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS--Please be prepared for intense sun, rain, wind,
cold, heat, constant wetness,
seasickness and biting insects. I will append a list of items to bring
with you.

Bimini tidbits: There are no shops or stores on S. Bimini but there are
shopping facilities as well as fax and
telephones in Alice town on N. Bimini. There is a small medical clinic
in Alice Town. All medical costs
including transportation will be covered by your insurance as explained
in the application. Neither alcohol or
controlled substances are allowed at the Station Please be aware that we
will be working in small boats until
the early hours of the morning on a couple of nights.

RENDEZVOUS: All out of state participants should fly directly to Fort
Lauderdale International Airport. Our
Bimini Island Air charter flight (Fairchild Metro twin turboprop 17 pax)
leaves from Fort Lauderdale Executive
Airport on Thursday, April 17, 1997. You should plan to be there by
noon. Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport
is located just west of I-95 on Commercial Blvd. Bimini Island Air (305
938 8991) is located at hangar 16--5500
NW 21st Terr, about 8 miles north of International Airport. We will
return to Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport
on Tuesday, April 22, 1997 at about noon. You should make your Florida
flight arrangements to coincide with
these times and dates.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING:

1. PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP: passport or birth certificate for US.
Citizens. Other Nationals check with their local Bahamas consulate.
2. Soft suit case for easy stowing in the aircraft. Maximum 40 lbs!!
3. Insect repellent ( many mosquitoes and sand flies )
4. Sun block lotion
5. Hat and polarizing sunglasses
6. Foul weather gear: rain pants and jacket -for boats and foul weather
7. Snorkel gear: masks, fins, snorkel and wet suit
8. At least two bathing suits
9. Beach towel or large towel (bath towels are provided )
10. Clothes that can get wet or soiled: T-shirts and shorts, sweat
shirt and long pants, warm jacket, long sleeve shirt, sandals or shoes
that can get wet 11. Any special foods
12 Camera

WHO TO CONTACT: Please contact Dr. Samuel H. Gruber voice or fax is 305
274 0628. voice mail can be
accessed at 305 361 4146 http://www.wattcom.com/sharks Cordially Yours,
Samuel H. Gruber Director, BBFS.

------------6C3322D1221C5