Biosafety & Risk Assessment Workshop

Mr. Ken Carter kcarter at umbc.edu
Fri Apr 17 10:04:07 EST 1998

June 15-19, 1998
Columbus Center, Baltimore, Maryland
Co-sponsored by ATCC and IRRO
http://www.atcc.org/workshops/biosafe.html
(703) 365-2726
Environment (IRRO) and the American Type Culture Collection (ATCC).  This
workshop, scheduled for June 15-19, 1998, represents the culmination of
materials and expertise cultivated during more than five years of
international workshops and training sessions.

We have contacted you specifically because we know that you are well aware
of the widespread impact of biosafety, risk assessment and risk management
on the many aspects of biotechnology, biodiversity, ecology, and safety in
the workplace.  Thus, we have specifically designed this workshop to
develop procedures for performing risk assessments that consider biosafety
as it affects workers, the public, and the environment.  During the
workshop, we will focus on how these elements are transformed into
regulations by using current regulations as models, and by examining
current philosophies for altering old and developing new regulations.

Workshop participants and faculty will interact through class discussions,
question and answer sessions, and case studies.  Workshop participants
will engage in case studies by forming mock biosafety committees charged
with evaluating specific exemplary biotechnology project proposals.  The
faculty will then present the proposal for the biosafety committee's
review.  Finally, the faculty and participants will critique the decision
of the committee.

Both participants and faculty of past international courses upon which
this workshop is based have found the interactive format mutually
stimulating and extremely useful in their professional endeavors.  In
addition, the course venue, in the midst of the Inner Harbor of Baltimore,
provides excellent ambiance for relaxation and discussion during break
sessions and after hours.

For detailed information, please visit our Web page at:
http://www.atcc.org/workshops/biosafe.html
Or call Ken Carter at ATCC at (703) 365-2726

Sincerely,

Micah I. Krichevsky, Ph.D.
Workshop Co-Director

Ken Carter			          ^
American Type Culture Collection        / | \       (301) 231-5525
12301 Parklawn Drive                  /___|___\__   fax:(301) 816-4364
Rockville, Maryland  20852             \______/      kcarter at atcc.org