Sequence Viewer released

Janine Sieja Hagerman jsh at ncgr.org
Fri Dec 4 22:35:50 EST 1998

I just learned that some URLs changed last night when we released our
redesigned Web site. The revised announcement below has the correct URL for
Sequence Viewer. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

***
I offer this message from NCGR's chief scientific officer for posting to
the bionews group. Please contact me at jsh at ncgr.org or 505/995-4459 if you
have questions.

The National Center for Genome Resources is pleased to announce the release
of Sequence Viewer, a graphical utility that dynamically retrieves and
navigates genetic sequence data. Sequence Viewer, a free, public tool, is
available today at http://www.ncgr.org/gsdb/sv. Visit our newly redesigned,
easy-to-navigate Web site to try out Sequence Viewer and all our other
software tools.

Sequence Viewer joins a suite of tools enabling researchers to access,
visualize and analyze gene sequence data. This Java-based, user-friendly
tool  anyone with a Web browser may access it  was developed to satisfy
researchers’ need for graphical representations of nucleotide sequences in
the Genome Sequence DataBase (GSDB) and detailed descriptions of sequence
annotation. Sequence Viewer enables users to quickly find a region of a
sequence that integrates with a gene, rather than searching through a
lengthy, complex flatfile report. It also can be used as a QC tool to
readily locate mistakes in feature position.

The tool serves dual roles  as a quick visual overview of a sequence and as
a mechanism to hone in on a specific region to glean in-depth information
about features of the segment such as sequence tagged sites (STSs).
Sequence Viewer’s display can be scaled and customized, and users can
easily distinguish between features on the forward strand and the reverse
strand. Annotated biological features are displayed as bars in feature
panes, which can be scrolled. A base pair ruler indicates base pair position.

Sequence Viewer also aids users by integrating with other GSDB tools for
database searching. NCGR’s Web-based query or search tools developed for
use with GSDB, including Ad Hoc, Excerpt, Flatfile and Maestro, can be
accessed directly from Sequence Viewer. In particular, Sequence Viewer has
been integrated with our Maestro tool -- sequences identified in Maestro
can be viewed in Sequence Viewer as well as flatfile format.

To learn more about Sequence Viewer’s benefits, visit www.ncgr.org/sv. If
you have questions about using Sequence Viewer, please write us at
svproject at ncgr.org.

Michael M. Harpold, Ph.D.
Chief Scientific Officer

* * *

The National Center for Genome Resources is dedicated to enhancing the
understanding of life through the research, development and application of
knowledge systems that support biological discovery. NCGR, a nonprofit
organization based in Santa Fe, N.M., helps solve biological problems by
facilitating the rapid evaluation and analysis of broad range of data.

* * *
Janine Sieja Hagerman
Communications Manager
National Center for Genome Resources