Bordetella sequences available

Julian Parkhill parkhill at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Dec 23 00:05:08 EST 1998

The Sanger Centre Microbial sequencing group is pleased to announce
the completion of the shotgun phase for the Bordetella pertussis
sequencing project.

We are sequencing strain Tohama I, a clinical isolate subsequently
used widely as a laboratory srain.

We have to date sequenced around 68,000 reads, to give approx. 7.5x
coverage. The current assembly consists of 824 contigs over 1kb,
giving a total of 4.035 Mb.

This data will be updated weekly, as the finishing process
progresses.

The sequences are available for BLAST searching and download from
the Bordetella pertussis website at:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/B_pertussis/

In addition, we are performing a comparative sequencing project
of Bordetella bronchiseptica strain RB50, a cause of repiratory
disease in a wide range of mammals. As part of this project, we
are producing a light shotgun of this genome, which is available
as single reads.

We have to date sequenced around 18,000 reads, to give approx. 1.5x
coverage (about 78% theoretical coverage of the genome).

These sequences are available for BLAST searching and download
>From the Bordetella bronchiseptica website at:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/B_bronchiseptica/

Information on other microbial genome sequencing projects at the
Sanger Centre is available from:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/Microbes/

These projects are funded by Beowulf Genomics

Julian Parkhill                                    parkhill at sanger.ac.uk
The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambs CB10 1SA
Any views expressed here are my own, and not those of the Sanger Centre