Salmonella typhi sequence available

Julian Parkhill parkhill at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Dec 23 00:04:59 EST 1998

The Sanger Centre Microbial sequencing group is pleased to
announce the availablility of assembled shotgun sequences for
Salmonella typhi, the causative agent of typhoid fever.

We are sequencing strain CT18, a highly pathogenic, multiple drug
resistant strain isolated from a typhoid patient in Cho Quan
Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

We have to date sequenced around 32,000 reads, to give approx. 3x
coverage. We are now able to release assembled data, rather than
raw reads.

The current assembly consists of 1,746 contigs over 1kb, giving
a total of 4.464 Mb of the approx. 4.5 Mb genome.

This data will be updated weekly, as the shotgun progresses.

The sequences are available for BLAST searching and download from
the Salmonella typhi website at:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/S_typhi/

Information on other microbial genome sequencing projects at the
Sanger Centre is available from:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/Microbes/

This project is funded by Beowulf Genomics

Julian Parkhill                                    parkhill at sanger.ac.uk
The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambs CB10 1SA
Any views expressed here are my own, and not those of the Sanger Centre