S&TS Conference at Cornell

Lillian Isacks li10 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 2 21:00:18 EST 1998

Technology & Identity
A Conference at Cornell University
April 16-18, 1999

As a theoretical term, identity is being increasingly invoked by
analysts in science and technology studies (S&TS) and other fields to
order and explain actors' values, interests, practices, and more
generally, world-views.  As social constructs, heterogeneous assemblages
can form, maintain, fragment, and completely transform the identities of
collectivities and actors.  The graduate students of the Science &
Technology Studies Department at Cornell University announce a conference
to explore the boundaries of identity, to be held April 16-18, 1999.  How
are identities constructed and defined?  What work do actors achieve by
drawing on identity as a resource?  In our analyses, what work do we
accomplish by using the term "identity" as compared to other theoretical
resources?  By focusing on the constructed boundaries of identity,
including those between other identities, we hope to investigate core
questions in S&TS such as how some identities are maintained or how a
particular sociotechnical system can support multiple identities.  Ken
Gergen, Professor of Psychology at Swarthmore College, will deliver the
keynote address.  Although conference participants may study these
questions at multiple levels, such as the nation-state or the laboratory,
and with diverse empirical concerns, we expect papers to engage with
theoretical questions raised by the intersection of technology and
identity.  Abstracts of no more than 250 words and a one-page curriculum
vitae should be sent to the postal or e-mail address listed below by
December 15, 1998.  Abstracts from graduate students in all fields are
encouraged.  Conference information is posted as available at
http://www.sts.cornell.edu/TI.html, or contact:

Dan Plafcan
Abstract Coordinator
Science & Technology Studies