Major Change at SGD

Mike Cherry cherry at genome.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 25 13:56:25 EST 2000

Enhancement of SGD's Locus/Gene Name Page:

The Saccharomyces Genome Database (SGD) has reach a major milestone --
the conversion of the Locus pages to the Oracle database software.  We
are confident that you will find the newly designed display clearer as
well as faster and more flexible.  The new page allows direct links to
sequence analysis, functional analysis data and much more.

The main search form has not changed, although a new form specific for
Locus information is available:

  http://genome-www.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/SGD/search  (main search)
  http://genome-www4.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/SGD/locus.pl (specific search)

To ease your transition to the new layout, you can view a comparison
with the old display.  This document provides a brief description of
the layout and its new features.

  http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Saccharomyces/help/newlocuspage/

A small number of URLs have changed, these should be transparent to
most users.  We apologize for any inconvenience to users who may have
software that affected by these changes.  Please convert existing
bookmarks and links to the new pages.  The change in search URLs is
described at the link below.  Also, please contact SGD if you need
assistance in converting to the new format.  The old locus page will
remain available as long as it is in demand.

  http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Saccharomyces/conversion.html

Queries are currently supported for gene, ORF, aliases and feature
names, plus SGDID (unique IDs for SGDs contents).  Work to provide
enhancements to our search tools are on going.  Parts of SGD are still
provided from the previous database system.  We plan to complete our
migration to the Oracle relational database in the coming months.

As always, we welcome your comments and suggestions.  A large number
of the SGD staff will be at the YGM2000 meeting in Seattle.  There
will be a number of computers setup to demo our new features.  We hope
you have time to visit SGD in the ballroom near the posters.

Cathy, Gavin, Kara, Selina, Midori, Laurie, John, Gail, Shuai, Heng,
Mark, Rey, Vivian, David and Mike.

The SGD team
http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Saccharomyces/SGD-staff.html

email: yeast-curator at genome.stanford.edu