Genetic-Epidemiological Studies of Complex Diseases CSHL

CSHL Meetings & Course Office meetings at cshl.org
Thu Mar 9 10:26:52 EST 2000

Cold Spring Harbor Course
Genetic-Epidemiological Studies of Complex Diseases
June 7 - 13, 2000
Instructors:
Neil Risch, Stanford University
Elizabeth Squires-Wheeler, Columbia University College of Physicians &
Surgeons
This lecture course will consider the difficulties in studying the
genetic
basis of complex disorders, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease,
cancer, Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia and epilepsy, with a
particular
emphasis on neuropsychiatric conditions. We will discuss
genetic-epidemiologic study designs, including family, twin and adoption
studies, as well as mode of inheritance analyses, and their role in
setting
the framework for understanding the genetic and non-genetic components
of a
disease. A major focus will be the identification of specific gene
effects
using both linkage and association analysis. We will discuss the
efficiency
and robustness of different designs for such analysis; further we will
consider how evidence from genetic-epidemiologic studies informs both
the
design and interpretation of molecular genetic studies. Recent
discoveries
of genes for both Mendelian and non-Mendelian diseases will guide the
discussion of the various methodologic issues.   We look forward to
seeing
you at Cold Spring Harbor.

Apply online at http://www.cshl.org/meetings