Yersinia pestis genome completed

Julian Parkhill parkhill at
Mon Nov 13 19:11:45 EST 2000

The Sanger Centre Pathogen Sequencing Unit is pleased to announce the
completion of the genome of Yersina pestis biovar Orientalis
strain CO-92. Y. pestis is the causative agent of plague.

The chromosome is 4,653,728 bp long, with a G+C content of 47.6 %, and
the genomic sequence also contains three plasmids pPMT1 (96,210 bp),
pCD1 (70,305 bp) and pPCP1 (9,612 bp).

The sequences are available for searching and download from the Sanger
Y. pestis website (

Annotation of the sequence is ongoing, and the full annotation will be
released upon publication. We would ask users of the data to read our
Data release policy and Guidelines on use of data in publications
( and

Information on other bacterial sequencing projects being pursued by the
Sanger Centre Pathogen Sequencing Unit is available from our Microbes
website (

Julian Parkhill
Dr. Julian Parkhill				The Sanger Centre