announcement of bioinformatics software release

Adam C. Siepel acs at
Tue Jan 16 15:25:26 EST 2001

Moderator of newsgroup:

Would you be so kind as to distribute this announcement?

Adam Siepel

The National Center for Genome Resources (NCGR) is happy to announce an
updated version of the Developers' Release of ISYS, a platform for the
integration of heterogeneous bioinformatics resources.  This release of
ISYS is freely available on our website at  It includes transparent access to the
NCBI's Entrez and BLAST servers, as well as refined versions of NCGR's
Sequence Viewer, Similarity Searcher, and Table Viewer.  In addition,
versions of the maxdView gene expression viewer
( and BDGP Gene Ontology Browser
( that have been wrapped for use with ISYS are also
available for download (our thanks to David Hancock of Machester
Bioinformatics and John Ritcher of the Berkeley Drosophila Genome Project
for their permission to wrap these tools).

Although it is officially an update to the Developers' Release of last
summer, this version of ISYS has sufficient functionality that it may be of
interest to non-software-developers as well.  We have provided a
description of a "walk-through" of ISYS at that you can use to guide
you through a short demonstration of the system (including new features
made possible with maxdView and the BDGP GO Browser).

Do not hesitate to contact us if you are interested in developing to the
platform.  In fact, we're lagging behind the new release with updates to
our example code and developers' manual, so please do contact us for the
latest information.

Adam Siepel