eprints.org: How and Why to Free the Refereed Research Literature Now

Stevan Harnad harnad at cogito.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 12:20:03 EST 2001

For the motivation behind the eprints.org initiative, see:

    "How and Why to Free the Refereed Research Literature Online
     Through Author/Institution Self-Archiving, Now"

    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm

This is to announce that, to coincide with the January 23 Open Meeting
in Washington announcing the release of OAI 1.0:

    http://www.openarchives.org/DC2001/OpenMeeting.html

eprints.org at Southampton has simultaneously released the OAI
1.0-compliant version of the eprints.org archive-creating software
Eprints Version 1.1.1

    http://www.eprints.org/

The eprints software is free, of course. Originally created by Matt
Hemus as CogPrints <http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk>, and then extensively
re-designed for OA-compliance, power and generality by Robert Tansley,
and recently upgraded to OAI 1.0 by Chris Gutteridge (all at
Southampton University), the software has been made as flexible and
adaptable as possible, so that all universities and research
institutions can immediately adopt and configure it with minimal effort
for all disciplines. Hence it complements centralised, discipline-based
archiving with distributed, institution-based archiving.

The generic version of eprints is fully interoperable with all other
OAI-compliant Open Archives. This means that it no longer matters where
papers are archived: The papers in all OAI-compliant Archives can be
harvested using the OAI protocol
<http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm>
into one global "virtual archive" by Open Archives Service Providers
<http://www.openarchives.org/sfc/sfc_services.htm>
such as the Cross Archive Searching Service
<http://arc.cs.odu.edu/>

Below are

    (1) a testimonial from California Digital Libraries, one of the
    early adopters of the eprints.org software
    <http://eprints.cdlib.org/>,

    (2) the most recent features of eprints 1.1.1

    (3) some relevant chronology and URLs.

Note that all existing Eprints Archives can be upgraded to OAI
1.0-compliance with this new release. The eprints.org archive-creating
software is free, draws only on free software, and will shortly be
open-sourced.

Stevan Harnad                     harnad at cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science    harnad at princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and     phone: +44 23-80 592-582
             Computer Science     fax:   +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton         http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton            http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM

(1)