Announcing SNP-L

Bert Gold bert at kattler-gold.net
Mon Mar 5 22:50:08 EST 2001

Dear listmembers,

This is to announce the creation of SNP-L, a listserv for
Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Research.

SNP-L's charter follows:
Many human mutations are single nucleotide polymorphisms
(SNPs).  The draft sequence of the human genome contained
between 800,000 and two million of these.  This amounts to
approximately one for every thousand base pairs sequenced.
Yet, only a small percentage of these SNPs provide a basis
for hereditary disease etiology.  This list is concerned
with SNPs, including methods to discover, validate,
characterize, resequence, and determine their frequency in
human and animal populations.  Listmembers are expected to
be actively engaged in genetic characterization and disease
association with SNPs.  In addition to the topics mentioned
above, posts are welcomed concerning the population
genetics of SNPs, including departures from Hardy-Weinberg
equilibrium and linkage disequilibria.  Discussions
concerning SNP management software and analysis tools are
especially welcome.

This list grew out of a frustration I experienced because
I could not find enough other geneticists like me, willing to
freely exchange ideas about how to carry out these studies.
I plan a full-blown announcement of the list sometime in the
middle of March, but you can sign up now, by sending an email
to listserv at list.nih.gov with the following in the message body:
subscribe SNP-L your name

--
Bert Gold, Ph.D.                        Board Certified in
Human Genetics Section                  Clinical Molecular Genetics
Lab: 301-846-1997                       bert at kattler-gold.net
Fax: 301-846-1909                       Personal website:
email: goldb at ncifcrf.gov                http://kattler-gold.net/bert