ANN: BioCoRE now includes remote job submission

biocore at ks.uiuc.edu biocore at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 30 20:21:41 EST 2001

Urbana, Illinois - The Theoretical Biophysics Group at the University
of Illinois is proud to announce the latest updates to the BioCoRE
web-based collaborative research environment. Since the initial
release in March of 2000, we have added significant new features, as
well as many minor improvements and features suggested by our users.

The following features are the most important additions to the BioCoRE
environment.

+ Job submission and monitoring. BioCoRE now allows you to submit NAMD
simulation jobs to your computer accounts on the PSC T3E and the NCSA
Origin 2000. After submitting jobs through BioCoRE, you may check back
to see whether they have run, and view the output of the jobs as they
run. Soon we will be adding a graphical viewer applet for NAMD jobs,
and support for more computer systems and applications.

+ A Java-based Control Panel. This control panel starts up when you
first log in to BioCoRE, and provides several convenient features. The
control panel provides a cross-project view of all your projects, so
you can easily find which projects have changed recently. You can also
determine at a glance who else is currently logged in to your
projects. The control panel also provides a live chat capability, and
notifies you with color and an alert sound when new information is
added to any of your projects.

+ Storing (publishing) molecular visualization views (from VMD) to the
BioCoRE notebook. Now, when you launch VMD through BioCoRE you will be
presented with an additional window that allows you to publish a
molecular state to BioCoRE. Later, any member of your project may
retrieve that view from the Message Board.  In the Message Board you
can select `Saved VMD Sessions' from the drop-down box and choose a
published state that you wish to view. Currently this feature is only
supported on Unix versions of VMD, but this will soon be available on
more platforms. We also have many interesting features planned.

For additional information, or to obtain a BioCoRE account, please
visit the BioCoRE website at <http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/biocore/>.

The Theoretical Biophysics group encourages BioCoRE users to be
closely involved in the development process through reporting bugs,
contributing fixes, periodical surveys and via other means. Questions
or comments may be directed to biocore at ks.uiuc.edu.

We are eager to hear from you, and thank you for using our software!