preliminary workshop announcement

Catherine Brown cathy at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 02:08:33 EST 2002

						PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT

					DISTANCE SAMPLING WORKSHOPS 2002
							St Andrews, Scotland

The newly formed Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental
Modelling (CREEM), which incorporates the Research Unit for Wildlife
Population Assessment (RUWPA), will be hosting another set of workshops
this year. The aim of these workshops is to train participants in the
latest methods for design and analysis of distance sampling surveys,
including line and point transects. The workshops are taught by leading
researchers in the field, using software Distance.

Workshop 1: Introduction to Distance Sampling, 10-12 July
An introductory workshop, focusing on standard distance sampling methods.
The workshop will be a blend of theory and practice and participants will
learn how to use version 3.5 of the program Distance. Participants will
gain a solid grounding in both survey design and methods of analysis for
distance sampling surveys.

Workshop 2: Advanced Techniques and Recent Developments in Distance
Sampling, 15-17 July
A workshop designed for those who are already familiar with the basics,
where we will teach advanced material such as automated survey design,
adaptive sampling, incorporating covariates into the detection function,
methods for where g(0)<1, and spatial modelling of density. Participants
will learn the more advanced features of version 4 of Distance.

For both workshops, participants are encouraged to bring their own data
sets, and can expect to do some preliminary analyses of their data.

The number of participants on both workshops is strictly limited, and for
this reason we encourage you to send in a preliminary registration,
including your name, institution, and which workshop you are interested in.
(This will not be considered as binding, but we would like an idea of
expected numbers.) Contact details are:

Rhona Rodger / Catherine Brown, Workshop Organisers
CREEM
Mathematical Institute
University of St Andrews
St Andrews, Fife
Scotland
KY16 9SS

Tel: (+44) (0) 1334 363813
Fax: (+44) (0) 1334 363714
rhona at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
cathy at mcs.st-and.ac.uk

The cost of each workshop will be œ440 Sterling (œ340 for registered
students) or œ755 for both (œ570 for students).