CFP: PSB-2003 Session on Linking Biomedical Language, Information and Knowledge

Cathy Wu wuc at georgetown.edu
Wed May 29 20:38:32 EST 2002

(We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this email)

CALL FOR PAPERS:
Linking Biomedical Language, Information and Knowledge

Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing 2003
Special Session
January 3-7, 2003
Kauai Marriott Resort and Beach Club

This session solicits papers on improving information access to the
biomedical literature and databases by leveraging the complementary
resources and techniques provided by the literature, databases,
nomenclatures, and ontologies. We particularly wish to focus on
problems of importance to the biology and biomedical research
communities, where such techniques have been demonstrated to provide a
quantifiable improvement in performance. The session will give
preference to papers that leverage resources or techniques from
several areas. We will also give preference to papers describing
systems of demonstrated utility to end users.  Possible topics
include:

* Novel ways of combining text data mining and conventional
bioinformatics search techniques, including e.g., question answering,
topic clustering, or relevance feedback.

* Techniques for (partial) automation of database curation,
consistency checking and error detection in annotation of existing
data bases.

* Use of patient data to discover or validate biological hypotheses.

* Evaluations of the utility of novel techniques over current methods
of information access.

* Extraction and organization of text-based information facilitated by
ontologies and data exchange standards.

* Creation or enrichment of structured resources (e.g., ontologies,
databases) through the use of text data mining and information
extraction techniques.

Session co-chairs

     Carol Friedman, Columbia University
     friedman at dmi.columbia.edu

     Lynette Hirschman, MITRE
     lynette at mitre.org

     Robin McEntire, GlaxoSmithKline
     Robin_A_McEntire at sbphrd.com

     Cathy Wu, Georgetown University Medical Center
     wuc at georgetown.edu

Submission information

     Submissions are due: 15 July 2002
 Decisions are announced: 6 September 2002
   Camera ready copy due: 23 September 2002
    Poster abstracts due: 1 November 2002
     Further information: http://psb.stanford.edu

All papers must be submitted to russ.altman at stanford.edu in electronic
format. The file formats we accept are: postscript (*.ps), adobe
acrobat (*.pdf) and Microsoft Word documents (*.doc). Attached files
should be named with the last name of the first author (e.g.
altman.ps, altman.pdf, or altman.doc). Hardcopy submissions or
unprocessed TEX or LATEX files will be rejected without review.

Each paper must be accompanied by a cover letter.
The cover letter must state the following:

     The email address of the corresponding author
     The specific PSB session that should review the paper or abstract
     The submitted paper contains original, unpublished results,
         and is not currently under consideration elsewhere.
     All co-authors concur with the contents of the paper.

Submitted papers are limited to twelve (12) pages in our publication
format. Please format your paper according to instructions found at:
http://www.smi.stanford.edu/projects/helix/psb-online/psb-submit/
If figures can not be easily resized and placed precisely in the text,
then it should be clear that with appropriate modifications, the total
manuscript length would be within the page limit. Color pictures can
be printed at the expense of the authors. The fee is $500 per page of
color pictures, payable at the time of camera ready submission.

--
Cathy H. Wu, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Email: wuc at georgetown.edu
PIR Home: http://pir.georgetown.edu/