[Bionews] NBCR 2006 Summer Institute Registration Opens

wilfred.li wilfredli01 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 01:04:03 EST 2006

The registration for the 2006 NBCR Summer Institute (Aug 7 - 11, 2006)
is now open at http://nbcr.net/si/2006/register.php!

Preliminary programs are now online at
http://nbcr.net/si/2006/program.php.

Important Dates:
Registration Open: June 7, 2006
Scholarship Application Deadline: July 1, 2006
Scholarship Announcement: July 6, 2006

Campus Housing & Meals Deadline: July 14, 2006
Registration Closes: July 31, 2006

Summer Institute Starts: Aug 7, 2006
Summer Institute Ends: Aug 11, 2006
Basic cost: $250 for local participants,
		$550 for out of town participants (includes housing & meals, free
registration)

	National Biomedical Computation Resource (NBCR) 2006 Summer Institute
Announcement (http://nbcr.net/si/2006/)

	The National Biomedical Computation Resource (NBCR) is pleased to
present its first annual Summer Institute to be held on 7-11 August
2006. This training program will provide an overview of
cyberinfrastructure and multiscale modeling approaches, and include
plenary sessions (day 1) and hands-on training sessions using tools
essential for cutting edge biomedical research. NBCR's goal in
offering this Summer Institute is to broaden the impact of these tools
and work closely with the biomedical community in future developments,
while offering significant opportunities for networking among
researchers and participants.

	The specific topics to be addressed include:

	· GridSphere portals

	· Web services and ontology

	· Cluster and grid computing

	· Computational cardiac electrophysiology and mechanics

	· Molecular visualization and virtual screening

	· Molecular electrostatics and diffusion

	Each of these topics represents a parallel track that will meet half
days for four days. Each participant may sign up for up to two tracks.

	Who should attend?

	The workshop is geared toward graduate students, postdocs and
researchers interested in learning how to use multiscale modeling tools
addressed by this workshop and/or who are interested in understanding
the role of cyberinfrastructure in biomedical research.

	Costs:

	For individuals who do not need housing, the registration deadline is
July 31st, and the costs are $250 for two tracks, or $200 for one
track. For individuals who require housing and meals, the registration
deadline is July 14th, and the cost is $550 (5 nights), plus $100 for
each additional night.

	Scholarships:

	There will be five scholarships awarded to help defray the costs of
attending the meeting. Information and application forms can be found
on our website. Awardees are required to present a poster during the
poster sessions.

	For more information:

	visit: http://nbcr.net/si/2006 or contact Teri Simas (858.534.5034,
tgraysimas at ucsd.edu). Enrollment is limited. To ensure your place in
the Summer Institute program and to help us accommodate you, we ask
that you register as early as possible. Please visit our website for
detailed program information.

	NBCR is a resource for the biomedical community. Our mission is to
conduct, catalyze, and enable biomedical research by harnessing,
developing, and deploying forefront computational, information and grid
technologies. We are consisted of researchers from the University of
California, San Diego, including the San Diego Supercomputer Center
(SDSC), the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information
Technology (Calit2), the Center for Research in Biological Systems
(CRBS), The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), and Washington
University in St. Louis. NBCR is supported by the P41 RR08605 grant
from the National Center for Research Resources (NCRR), National
Institutes of Health (NIH). More information about NBCR may be found at
http://nbcr.net.

---

Please post or forward to interested parties. Thank you!