[Bionews] Whale survey statistics website

cgp2 from st-andrews.ac.uk via bionews%40net.bio.net (by cgp2 from st-andrews.ac.uk)
Fri Apr 25 13:22:01 EST 2008

As part of a public engagement of science project we have set up a web
site
www.whalequest.org.uk
that explains the statistics behind whale surveys. There is a also a
chance to win a trip on the IFAW whale survey vessel "Song of the
Whale"

WHALEQUEST - win a trip on a whale research vessel!

This competition is part of a project funded by the Engineering and
Physical Sciences Research Council to raise public awareness and
interest in research done at the University of St Andrews to improve
methods of assessing wildlife populations.  To enter you must be aged
16-21 and a UK resident.

We can't just count all the whales in the sea, we have to estimate
numbers from partial counts.  The estimates have uncertainty
associated with them and this uncertainty can be large.  Do some
estimation for yourself by playing WhaleQuest.  Enter the competition
by submitting your estimate from the game.  The better your estimate,
the higher your chance of winning the prize and going out to survey
whales yourself.