[Bionews] Hands-on courses at the European Bioinformatics Institute

James Watson via bionews%40net.bio.net (by watson from ebi.ac.uk)
Wed Aug 13 09:12:33 EST 2008

Dear colleagues,

As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, the European
Bioinformatics Institute (www.ebi.ac.uk) is a non-profit research
institute that plays a central role in Europe's efforts to store,
organise and make biological data freely available. As part of our
mission, we provide hands-on training courses to assist wet-lab
researchers in accessing this information and using the tools we provide
to analyse their own data. For details of all of our training
opportunities please visit our website (www.ebi.ac.uk/training/)

We would like to draw your attention to one of our upcoming hands-on
courses called "A two-day dip into the EBI’s data resources:
Understanding your data". This will be held on 6-8 October 2008 at the
European Bioinformatics Institute in Hinxton, Cambridgeshire, UK.

This course provides a broad introduction to EBI core resources and
practical, trainer-guided demonstration of when, why and how to use
them. Several resources will be covered spanning genomics to systems
biology.

In addition to presenting practical information on the range of EBI
resources and how to use these tools, this course aims to illustrate
their application to research by using a range of case studies. In this
way, use of the resources is presented with reference to biological
questions.

Topics include

     * EB-eye search engine
     * EBI Literature resources
     * Ensembl (genomes)
     * ArrayExpress (microarray data)
     * UniProt (protein sequences)
     * MSD (macromolecular structures)
     * IntAct (protein–protein interactions)
     * PRIDE (proteomics)
     * Reactome (pathways)

The course costs £50 and interested candidates are encouraged to apply
online at the URL below (the training is free, however we need to charge
participants an administration fee of £25 per day to cover food and
materials, and participants need to pay their own travel and accommodation):

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/training/handson/course_081006_ebidata.html

This course will have a maximum number of 40 participants on a first
come first serve basis, so please register early to avoid disappointment.

*The deadline for registering for this event is Monday 8 September 2008*

Best regards,

James Watson

--
James D Watson
Scientific Training Officer

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/training/

Upcoming hands on training courses (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/training/handson/):

26-27 August 2008: Interactions and Pathways
1-3 September 2008: Joint EBI–ENFIN workshop - Protein function
prediction tools
8-11 September 2008: Programmatic access in Perl: webservices & work flows
6-8 October 2008: 2-day dip into the EBI’s data resources: Understanding
your data
24-27 November 2008: Programmatic access in Java: webservices & work flows