[Bionews] Academia.edu: "Tree" of academics launches

Richard Price via bionews%40net.bio.net (by r.w.g.price from academia.edu)
Mon Nov 17 21:23:57 EST 2008

Dear all,

I recently finished my Ph.D on the philosophy of perception from Oxford.
With a team of people from Stanford and Cambridge, I've just launched a
website, www.academia.edu, which does two things:

 - It shows academics around the world structured in a 'tree' format,
displayed according to their departmental and institutional affiliations.

 - It enables academics to see news on the latest research in their area -
the latest people, papers and talks.

We are hoping that Academia.edu will eventually list every academic in the
world -- Faculty members, Post-Docs, and Graduate Students. Academics can
add their departments, and themselves, to the tree by clicking on the boxes.

Academics are joining the tree rapidly. More than 15,000 academics have
added themselves in the last two months. Some professors on the site
include:

 - Richard Dawkins -  http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardDawkins

 - Stephen Hawking -  http://cambridge.academia.edu/StephenHawking

 - Paul Krugman - http://princeton.academia.edu/PaulKrugman

 - Noam Chomsky -  http://mit.academia.edu/NoamChomsky

 - Steven Pinker - http://harvard.academia.edu/StevenPinker

We're trying to spread the word about Academia.edu as much as possible. It
would be terrific if you could visit the site, and add yourself to your
department on the tree. If your university is not there, you can add it by
clicking on the arrows coming out of the university boxes.

And do spread the word to your friends and colleagues if you can.

Many thanks,

Richard

Dr. Richard Price

http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardPrice