[Bionews] Bionet seeks new Usenet service provider

Don Gilbert via bionews%40net.bio.net (by gilbertd from net.bio.net)
Tue Dec 8 13:21:14 EST 2009

Dear Bionet readers,

Another Indiana university is turning off its Usenet service.
Bionet will lose its Usenet feed thru Purdue at the end of this
month. I appreciate this service that Purdue University has
provided to the Bionet community for the last few years.

If you know of any good Usenet providers who would help out with
Bionet, please let me know.  This would be a Usenet provider that
supports NNTPS (secure network news protocol) which most should,
and also the ability to process moderated, PGP signed messages.

Usenet is waining due in part its unregulated, distributed
nature, that has been abused, yet it still provides value to many
in biology and outside.  About 25% of Bionet postings are coming
in via Usenet, across all the groups.

THanks for any suggestions,

Don Gilbert
email: biosci-help from net.bio.net
-- d.gilbert--bioinformatics--indiana-u--bloomington-in-47405
-- gilbertd from indiana.edu--http://marmot.bio.indiana.edu/