[Bionews] 2010 GMOD Summer School - Americas

Dave Clements via bionews%40net.bio.net (by clements from nescent.org)
Fri Jan 29 17:31:26 EST 2010

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for:

  2010 GMOD Summer School - Americas
    6-9 May 2010
    NESCent, Durham, NC, USA

This will be a hands-on multi-day course aimed at teaching new GMOD
users/administrators how to get GMOD Components up and running. The
course will introduce participants to the GMOD project and then focus
on installation, configuration and integration of popular GMOD

GMOD (http://gmod.org/) is a collection of open-source and
interoperable software components for visualizing, annotating, and
managing biological, especially genomic, data.  GMOD is also a
community of users and developers addressing common challenges with
their data.

The course will be held May 6-9, at NESCent in Durham, NC, and these
GMOD components will be covered:
   * Apollo - genome annotation editor
   * Chado - a modular and extensible database schema
   * Galaxy - workflow system
   * GBrowse - the Generic Genome Browser
   * GBrowse_syn - A generic synteny browser
   * JBrowse - genome browser
   * MAKER - genome annotation pipeline
   * Tripal - web front end for Chado

The deadline for applying is the end of Friday, February 22. Admission
is competitive and is based on the strength of the application
(especially the statement of interest). In 2009 there were over 50
applications for the 25 slots. Any applications received after the
deadline will be placed on the waiting list.

See the course page for details and an application link:

Dave Clements
GMOD Help Desk

PS: We are also investigating holding a GMOD course in the
Asia/Pacific region, sometime this fall. Watch the GMOD mailing lists
and the GMOD News page/RSS feed for updates.