An Electronic WBG?

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Wed Aug 3 07:02:26 EST 1994

you may want to consider RTF format (Microsoft's Rich Text Format)
as a word breeder's gazette electronic format.   It is much more
suited to scientific documents than HTML -- it handles complex
formatting (paragraphing, paging, tabs, margings, etc.), multiple
fonts including symbols, super/subscripts, as well as an array
of embedded graphics forms.  Virtually everyone using a Mac
or MSDos/MSWindows computer has a wordprocessor capable of
reading and writing RTF format.  And I have a free viewer
available (still buggy but usable) for all the common platforms
(Mac, MSWindows, XWindows -- ftp://ftp.bio.indiana.edu:/util/dclap/
apps/rtfviewer/).

Using RTF your pub format & submit format can easily be the same,
as most of your authors already use an RTF capable wordprocessor
This is also a 7-bit ascii format, so it can go thru e-mail without
encoding.

-- don

p.s., if you want html's network links, I also have a gopher client
that combines RTF with network links for hyper-rich-text.

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu