Plant Nematologist Faculty Position

W. A Miller wamiller at iastate.edu
Fri Aug 19 16:03:52 EST 1994

We are looking for a molecular nematologist.  Plant parasitic nematodes
are important pathogens.  However, very few people study them with
molecular approaches despite the fascinating developmental changes that
occur in both the nematode and the plant during the parasitization
process.  We have a classical, applied plant nematologist in our
department who could be a potential collaborator or advisor.  We are now
looking for a basic scientist to study any aspect of interactions of
nematodes and plants.  If any C. elegans people out there are
interested in working on plants and/or their nematodes in a research field
which has a promising future and is definitely not overcrowded, please
consider the following advertisement.

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF PLANT NEMATOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF PLANT PATHOLOGY,  IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY

Applications are invited for a 12 month, tenure track, 90% research-10%
teaching position in plant nematology.  The successful candidate will
develop a nationally recognized, extramurally-funded research program on
plant parasitic nematodes and their interactions with plants at a
molecular, genetic, biochemical or population level.  Research efforts
may complement existing programs at Iowa State in plant nematology and
plant molecular biology.  Teaching responsibiliteis include a
comprehensive graduate level course in plant nematology every other
year, participation in other graduate level courses and supervision of
graduate students.

QUALIFICATIONS (suggested):  A Ph.D. with graduate or post-graduate experience in
plant nematology.  Applicants should possess excellent communication and
teaching skills.

PROCEDURE:  Submit a letter of application, statement of research and
teaching interests, curriculum vitae, selected reprints and names and
addresses of at least 3 references to:

	Dr. Thomas C. Harrington, Chair
	Department of Plant Pathology
	351 Bessey Hall
	Iowa State University
	Ames, IA  50011-1020

Deadline:  Nov. 15, 1994 or until position is filled.

ISU has a major effort in biotechnology including providing substantial
start up funds to new investigators.  Active interdepartmental programs
in MCDB, Genetics, Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology, and Signal
Transduction provide ample opportunities for cross-disciplinary
interactions and access to many graduate students with diverse interests.
Successful applicant's lab is on a floor with 7 other plant molecular
biology labs and a well-equipped multi-user facility.

We are trying to cast as broad a net as possible in our applicant pool.
If in doubt, please apply, or if you have any questions, contact
me, Allen Miller at:  wamiller at iastate.edu

--
W. A. Miller
wamiller at iastate.edu