Specific Knockouts in C.elegans

Jeffrey Yuan yuan at PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU
Fri Jul 15 09:33:50 EST 1994

In message <01HEQ9BKHG8Y8WWXWH at acs.wooster.edu> William R. Morgan writes:
> smh1008 at cus.cam.ac.uk (David S. Huen) writes:
>
> >Is it possible to produce mutants in C.elegans in which a specific gene is
> >>knocked out?
>
> Yes, see Zwaal et al. (1993)  Target-selected gene inactivation in C.
> elegans by using a frozen transposon insertion mutant bank.  Proc. Natl.
> Acad. Sci. USA 90: 7431-7435.
>
> Bill Morgan
>
> William R. Morgan
> The College of Wooster
> Department of Biology
> 931 College St.
> Wooster, OH  44691
> Phone:  216-263-2026
> FAX:    216-263-2378
> E-mail: wmorgan at acs.wooster.edu

You may also contact Ron Plasterk (the senior author on the Zwaal paper) in the
Netherlands.  He wrote a chapter for the upcoming C.elegans Methods Book called
"Reverse Genetics: from Gene Sequence to Mutant Worm."  This is a detailed
description of the process and how to do it.  He may be able to send you a
preprint of the chapter.  His email address is rplas at nki.nl.  I hope he does not
get upset with me by posting this message.

Jeffrey Yuan

*  Jeffrey Yuan                                                          *
*  Department of Molecular Biology                                       *
*  Lewis Thomas Laboratory                                               *
*  Princeton University                FAX: 609-258-3980                 *
*  Washington Road                   Phone: 609-258-5939                 *
*  Princeton, NJ  08544              email: yuan at phoenix.princeton.edu   *