SUMMARY: gut fluorescence

Leon Avery leon at EATWORMS.SWMED.EDU
Wed Nov 2 09:01:11 EST 1994

Cori Bargmann says:

    starved worms have way less gut granules.  way less.
    if you can stand to fix them, fixing utterly destroys gut fluorescence.
    jin figured that out.  just a short paraformaldehyde fix a la antibody
    staining (an hour or so).

Thomas Burglin says:

    supposedly the flu mutants out there are of no use for such
    The vesicles burst nicely under the UV, sparkling effects...

I also got a very informative answer from Lew Jacobson, which I
somehow have lost.  I remember two things from it.  First, he says
"The gut granules are definitely lysosomes", and cites this reference
to prove it:

    Clokey and Jacobson (1986) The autofluorescent lipofuscin granules
    in the intestinal cells of C. elegans are secondary
    lysosomes. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 35: 79-84.

Second, he says daf-4 mutants have greatly reduced gut fluorescence
because they have greatly reduced endocytosis.

Answers came from the following:

Cori Bargmann		(cori at
Marty Chalfie		(chalfie at
David Chitwood		(dchitwood at
Gaetan Borgonie		(Gaetan=Borgonie%reszoo%Biomse.RUG at
Michael Hengartner	(hengartn at
Andras Fodor		(fodoran at
Thomas Burglin		(BURGLIN at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU)
Lewis Jacobson		(ljac at

Leon Avery					   (214) 648-2420 (office)
Department of Biochemistry			            -2768 (lab)
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center             -8856 (fax)
5323 Harry Hines Blvd				   leon at
Dallas, TX  75235-9038